Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advance steel 2018

61 REPLIES 61
SOLVED
Message 1 of 62
Anonymous
7234 Views, 61 Replies

Advance steel 2018

So what's new ? Smiley Happy

61 REPLIES 61
Message 41 of 62
iwafb
in reply to: Anonymous

"What we as a community need to do is to keep telling the management what we want fixed and keep telling them. It is all well and good to put up new ideas but we need to support these ideas. When only 2 or 3 people say an idea is good the developers don't take much notice. Why should they care, if we don't show we care."

Well said, no point blaming the establishment if we as users don't support each other's ideas! Having said that, votes do not necessarily mean implementation either...

On a different note. Whether we agree with the features or not, I think we would have to concede that a lot of development has gone into the Revit interface and changing the database format. Hopefully (and I keep saying this), that same level of commitment will be devoted to productivity gains in the coming releases, starting with 18.1 and 19...

Message 42 of 62
FCort

Default quality of assemnly drawings is very poor ( especially beams with moment connection and user added stiffeners ).
It is Time consuming having to delete all unnecessary dimensions and labels, and then the user has to create dimensions and labels manualy. After that , Normally we have to update that drawings due field conditions or changes in the design. Unfortunately there is not any option in the update tool that ask if you want to keep user dim, or user label locations, sections location , etc.
We waste time in every updated of the drawings.
Message 43 of 62
acbsdesign
in reply to: iwafb

I think a software has to be stable first-having stable section views, dimensions and labels, and after that to be further developed.

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this makes it easier for other users.

Regards,
Ilko Dimitrov, IDC-1, M. Eng.
Tekla and Advance Steel Detailer
ACBS Structural Steel Detailing

If it is made of steel, I can model it and detail it.

acbs-usa.com | Helpful Place

Message 44 of 62
chrisengg
in reply to: acbsdesign

As I said in an earlier post all Software's have their own sweet spots and troubles, I have found AS to be considerably easy to customize than I could with Tekla. There are problems which can to be worked around and Autodesk should take serious note.i do not have the latest AS version but as per the attached drawing you can see that I have developed a drawing style for Beams where I just have to arrange views in the Drawings and add Level other than that Beam drawing style does not require any modification, try doing that with tekla for beams.

Yes stability is still an issue if you work with even medium density models where while running the drawing process the PC simply hangs up,graphics engine too requires a major overhaul

Message 45 of 62
Anonymous
in reply to: chrisengg

Another point if someone who has upgraded to 2018 might know please. (usually wait for service pack 1)

My version of 2017 takes a full minute to update a detail in 2d

Or a full minute to change a detail scale in 2d

Or a full minute to change a clip in 2d

I can’t use it.

Please advise if this is better in 2018?

Please don’t say my computer is slow.

regards

Message 46 of 62
Anonymous

Better not update to AS2018. I´ve updated and just worked with AS2018 10 minutes. Went back to AS2017.

Just an example: turning on and off model views took 30 sec.

Very very slow overall. Just a big pain working with it.

Message 47 of 62
AntDrt

hi,

i don't have this problem, can you add a screencast to see ? or maybe give us Specs of your computer ?

Antoine
AMG Fechoz
Serrurerie & Equipement Scénographique
www.amg-fechoz.com
Message 48 of 62
Anonymous
in reply to: AntDrt

my computer is a bit old (maybe 2012)

here are the specs:

intel core i7 2600
MB Asus sabertooth P67
32Gb DDR3 PC3-14200
Nvidia geforce GTX 1060 3Gb
SSD intel 80Gb

I have problems dealing with large models. Orbit and pan have too much lag, but I think this lag occurs because I work with x-ray visual style. It´s better for me to visualize the model.

Message 49 of 62
ZHUKOV_ING

This isn't isue for me... AS 2018 is rocket fast in orbiting and turning on/off section views in model... i recently bought new laptop.. ASUS ROG with i7 7700, Nvidia Gforce 1070 16Gb of RAM , SSD .......

Message 50 of 62
Anonymous
in reply to: ZHUKOV_ING

which visual style you normally use?

Message 51 of 62
Anonymous

Hi Filipe,

Looking at your PC spec it should me more than capable of running AS2018 at a very reasonable rate.

I suspect that your slow operation is due to your system using the inbuilt intel graphics of the i7 CPU as opposed to the Nvidia GTX 1060.

Can you run 'Graphics Performance' within AS2018 (see pic below for instructions):-

Graphics performance.PNG

On yours it should report back that the video card is an Nvidia GTX 1060. (I suspect that it will say Intel HD Graphics)

If it does report back that the GTX 1060 is being utilised you would be advised to download & install the latest Nvidia drivers for the GTX1060 

Please report back with your findings.

Regards

Geoff.

Message 52 of 62
Anonymous

The intel graphics are disabled. Always used nvidia drivers (quadro and geforce now). Always checked that on graphics performance on both AS2017 and AS2018 and the drivers are up to date.

Message 53 of 62
Anonymous

Filipe,

That's good to have eliminated that possibility.

The other area I would now start to consider would be the possibility of a firmware & driver update for the Intel 80Gb SSD.

I have known  a similar problem with SSD's before:-

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/advance-steel-forum/what-options-do-i-have-to-obtain-help/m-p/6735977...

Regards

Geoff

Message 54 of 62
ZHUKOV_ING

for AS2018 go with shaded with edges but all you need to do is to change colours of "edge settings" , "Occuluded Edges" , "Intersection Edges" - By Entity...Screenshot_1.png

Message 55 of 62
Anonymous

Hey,

I'm looking to upgrade to 2018(never got 2017) and just got the trail.  The call outs alone are huge time saver for us.  I'm curious if after creating the call outs they can be moved to a different sheet as plans often take up significant portions of the drawing. This doesn't seem to be as simple as moving cameras are in the document manager.  Thanks

Message 56 of 62
AntDrt

Hi julian
Callout are linked to the main view.
If you want duplicate callout you have to duplcate the main view where the callout is from.
It doesn't work like camera who's independant.
Antoine
AMG Fechoz
Serrurerie & Equipement Scénographique
www.amg-fechoz.com
Message 57 of 62
Jonathan.Jasinski

You cannot move them to a different page because they are a part of a single "Detail" as far as the document manager is concerned.

Message 58 of 62
Anonymous
in reply to: AntDrt

Thanks for the reply guys,

That's somewhat disappointing but we can make it work.

Message 59 of 62
Anonymous
in reply to: FCort

Are you me in a parallel universe?  Because I was thinking the exact same thing right down to those very 2 programs.

Message 60 of 62
Anonymous

Okay.  It may just be me venting and furiously clicking on the first angry forum that I've seen.  I'm a previous SDS2, Tekla, and long time AutoCAD user.  When I started this I was awe inspired by the modeling.  I mean to be fair the materials database is impressive, the modeling flowed really well, and the price tag was sweet (especially compared to SDS2).

Working with the sheets - absolute nightmare, at lease for me.  And if I'm wrong please enlighten me otherwise.  But I don't understand the lack of functionality between the model and the generated drawings not to mention the overly convoluted auto-generated views/dimensions.  And I know I'm whining at this point, but I miss my viewports.

I've called in a couple of times but my simple "how do I do this" questions are solved by them remotely controlling my workstation and BLASTING through the answer to where I don't understand the solution.  I feel like I need to record the footage of the solution like I'm hunting a ghost, rewind it, slow mode it, did you see it, that must be the elusive solution that died in the factory years ago.  YouTube solutions are many times difficult to understand, completely silent, or are recorded over by the Deja Vu theme from Initial D.

Sincerely resisting the urge to cry,

David.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report