ACC General Discussion Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions and explore popular discussions about everything ACC
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop connector - manual file locking

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
ybleas
268 Views, 3 Replies

Desktop connector - manual file locking

Hello,

I read on the Desktop Connector help (https://help.autodesk.com/view/CONNECT/ENU/?guid=File_Locking_Docs_Connector) that manual file locking was available for the 15.X versions, but that it is not yet available on the 16.X versions. I am currently using version 16.8.0.2169.

We are looking into transitioning from Vault to Autodesk Docs, and I was planning to use the manual file locking as the equivalent of the Vault "check-out/check-in". We need this functionality to ensure several users are not commenting on PDF files simultaneously (and overwriting each other's comments, I see great potential for a big mess!).

This is a vital functionality when reviewing/commenting on PDF files. We are using a PDF software to comment on files.

Will the manual file locking come back in the next version of Desktop connector?
Or does anyone have a good workaround?

Thanks!

Labels (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
s.iwasakiSYTFM
in reply to: ybleas

How about using ACC's issue feature?
When you review a PDF on ACC, you will see a menu bar on the right side of the screen similar to the one shown in the image.
By selecting an issue from here, you can leave a comment on the PDF, which is managed in ACC, so you do not have to go through various software programs.

siwasakiSYTFM_0-1716950421016.png

You found a post helpful? Then feel free to give likes to these posts!
Please click the Accept Solution button if my reply answers your question.
こちらの投稿は役に立ちましたか?良ければ「いいね」お願い致します!
こちらの投稿があなたの問題解決に寄与した場合、「解決策として承認」ボタンのクリックへのご協力をお願い致します。

Satoshi Iwasaki
ONESTRUCTION Inc.
Message 3 of 4
ybleas

The main problem I have is that the integrated markup tool is too "basic". Its functionalities are too limiting, so we want to be able to review drawings and documents with a PDF viewer/editor. Here are the main limitations I find: can't add pages, can't add photos/screenshots, can't add stamps, can't predefine markup styles, and navigating multiple pages documents is not practical.
An ideal option would be to "right click, open with X" directly from the web interface. Where X is the user's choice of software. In that case, you can lock the file from the web interface, and you do not have to browse through Desktop Connector to find the file again.

Message 4 of 4
marcus.s.s

Stumbled upon this looking for something else, you may have found already, that in ACC you can manually lock/unlock a file.

marcusss_0-1718311904670.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

View short, easy-to-follow videos about how to use Autodesk's construction products.

Autodesk Design & Make Report