Community
A360 Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s A360 Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular A360 topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Composite Design Linked Files

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
domcm
339 Views, 7 Replies

Composite Design Linked Files

I have uploaded a small Autodesk Inventor drawing and assembly to A360 using the "Composite Design" option. I can see the parent design but how do I view the linked files such as the Inventor part or assembly files? See attached.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Bud_Schroeder_ADESK
in reply to: domcm

Hi David,

Thanks for posting to the A360 General Discussion forum.   You can get to all the parts in a composite upload when viewing the file. Click on the "Model Structure" and that will bring up a dialog that lets you click on each of the parts.   You can also start double clicking on the parts in the view to see them that way as well.   

Hope this helps and thanks again for posting your question. 

Composite upload a.jpg

Composite upload.jpg

Bud Schroeder
AutoCAD Customer Council Beta Programs
Autodesk Inc.

Autodesk Beta Programs!

Message 3 of 8
domcm
in reply to: Bud_Schroeder_ADESK

Thanks fpr the reply. I guess the problem is I can't find a "Model Structure" pick if a drawing is set as the "Parent Design" when uploaded as a composite design. See below.

Model Structure.png

Message 4 of 8
Bud_Schroeder_ADESK

Hi David,

Thanks for the update. You uploaded a DWG, have you tried uploading the Inventer files as composite? Then you should see the parts.

Give this a try and let me know how it goes.

Thanks
Bud Schroeder
Autodesk Inc.

Autodesk Beta Programs!

Message 5 of 8
domcm

I did upload it as a composite design and set the drawing as the "Parent Design. My problem is, if I set the "drawing" to the parent design, I can't figure out a way to view the model structure. I know all fo the files are there because when I downlod the drawing, all of the Inventor part and assembly files are downloaed as part of the ZIp file. See below.

Composite Design2.png

Message 6 of 8
Bud_Schroeder_ADESK

Hi David,

The problem is you are using a DWG and Inventor does not create DWG files by default. So you are seeing the drawing layouts. Notice that my Inventor screen shot shows a ".iam" file. How did you create the DWG for Inventor? What happens if you upload the composite and point to the ".iam" file. Give that a try and let me know.

Thanks
Bud Schroeder
Autodesk Inc.

Autodesk Beta Programs!

Message 7 of 8
domcm

Inventor can save to DWG files as the default drawing format. See below. As a matter of fact, I believe DWG is the default drawing format for Inventor 2015. To answer your second question, yes, if I pick the Inventor assembly as the Parent, than I can see the model structure but then the drawing is not listed. See below. So, it looks like I have the upload the assembly and drawing as two different uploads which does not seem intuitive with the composite option.

Inventor DWG.png

Model Strucutre 2.png

Message 8 of 8
Bud_Schroeder_ADESK

Hi David,

Thanks for posting the screen shots. I installed Inventor over the weekend and I see that you have multiple options.

Part - .ipt
Assembly - .iam
Drawing - .dwg
Presentation - .ipn

I also had uploaded a couple sample Inventor parts that used both .iam and .dwg and I was able to see the parts in both. So it may depend on something Inventor is doing when creating the file. You may want to ask the Inventor team that question as well. I will be at Autodesk University this week and will also ask this question of some of the team members to see what they know about this.

Thanks for the follow up question and screen shots, it is very helpful.

Bud Schroeder
Autodesk Inc.

Autodesk Beta Programs!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report