Community
A360 Drive Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s A360 Drive Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular A360 Drive topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-Autodesk files with A360 Drive

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
316 Views, 1 Reply

Non-Autodesk files with A360 Drive

I am trying to get something to work and I hope you can help me with some insights. I am a drafting teacher in Virginia. I am looking for a cloud-based alternative to local saving of files and I'm trying to get the A360 to work for my students.  The shortcut shows up in File Explorer as a drive like a hard drive.

I am trying it out on my own machine and I’m running into an issue. If I’m using an Autodesk program like AutoCAD (and I’m logged in to A360) then I can do a Save As and direct the program to this location and save to it as though I were saving to a jump drive. If I’m in a non-Autodesk program like Microsoft Word it doesn’t work. The icon appears in the Save As window, but double-clicking on it doesn’t open the A360 drive. Nothing happens.

HOWEVER, if I use the Explorer to drag a file into the A360 drive, I can then access it by double-clicking on it, open it, and do a Save As. As long as the program is one  in which Save As defaults to the original file location it will work. If it’s a MS Office program which defaults to that Documents/ThisPC page like they do, it doesn’t work.

All of this is a long question with hopefully a short answer—is this a network issue? It seems like Non-Autodesk files should be able to save there too. Do you think the internet access is blocked somehow and could be allowed? Or do you think it’s something specific to the software, or that has to be enabled on each workstation? 

Thanks for your help in advance, Sam Ketner

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Bud_Schroeder_ADESK
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Sam,

Thanks for posting to the forum and welcome.  What you are seeing is A360 Drive Desktop sync component and it's for AutoCAD, AutoCAD LT, AutoCAD based vertical products and Inventor.  Teresa Autodesk products have A360 Drive built into them and that's why you see it in SAVEAS.  If you look at a Revit, you will se it doesent show up there, as Revit did not include this with the product.  

You can copy copy files into the local folder, but the sync component won't know what these non Autodesk files are. 

Hope this helps explained what you are seeing and have a great day.  Also feel free to let us know if you have any other questions. 

Bud Schroeder
AutoCAD Customer Council Beta Programs
Autodesk Inc.

Join the AutoCAD Customer Council Beta Program.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report