Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I change the view a BOM refers to?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
329 Views, 2 Replies

Can I change the view a BOM refers to?

I'm looking for a BOM advice.

I created an iassembly with several dozen configurations, and I need to see all the layers in the BOM.  I can't do that with an iassembly.  (This is where I learned this unfortunate truth.)

Someone showd me a script to work arund that, but anytime I reopen the 2d, the BOM reset itself to one layer, and any editing had dissappeared.  (I need to make all titles of subassemblies not visible, and reorder a few components.)

If I drop a configuration in its own assembly, I can show all layers.  If I use Design Assistant to copy the first drawing/assembly for another configuration, the views update just fine, but the BOM still references the original file's assembly. I can delete it and drop a new one, but I have to edit the BOM again.

If I drop the iassembly into an assembly by itself, I can't get the BOM to cooperate.  I can set the Structured Properties to all all levels, and expand subassemblies, but it doesn't save.  I can open BOM properties in the assembly, and they're all collapsed again.  In the drawing, the Level is set to All Levels, but only the iassembly is displayed.

Are there any ways to change what the BOM is referencing?  I'd rather not drop in a new one as the BOM would have to be ediited for each new print, and I have dozens to do...

I've attached a screen shot in hopes it will inspire.  I will be needing around 200 prints of all the variations of this assembly.  It will vary in diameter, length, and a few components are iparts that change size.  

The more automated/streamlined the documentation, the better.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi  eveylynne,

Would you be able to set your subassembly BOM structure to Phantom, so that the components within the subassemblies are promoted to the top level BOM?

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

I rebooted me pc.  * knock on wood, it seems to be working fine now.  If it changes it's mind, I'll be back...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report