Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We need up todate Arnold Imager tutorials!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
justinmshaw
267 Views, 2 Replies

We need up todate Arnold Imager tutorials!

We need a full Arnold Imager tutorials, I can't find the information anywhere. How do we use it? How do we enable the effects like bloom in render? Best settings for Arnold render and lights? How to get Normal maps out of Bake to texture? Why aren't there any good, up-to-date tutorials for this stuff? Why are HDRI skies so awkward to use? Zbrush, Substance Painter, PhotoShop, every other program has professional tutorials made by the company that owns them, why can't we. Max is the best, we are going to get beaten by Blender if we don't make this program easier to work with.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
CiroCardoso3v
in reply to: justinmshaw

You can find some information here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZVesY7A5bQ

What kind of topics you would be interested on? You already gave a good list, but if you think on more topics, please post them here.

Lead Enviroment Artist @Axis Studios

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
justinmshaw
in reply to: justinmshaw

His tutorial is in Maya, and it just starts with Imager open. The Imager Window in Max looks very different. Max needs to work more like Substance Painter, in that there should be an HDRI Sky loaded by default with a main, fill-light, so that the scene looks good by default. The system has gotten to cluttered and this is coming from a 10+ year 3ds Max industry veteran. I watch every tutorial from almost every author and read the materials provided by Autodesk and Arnold, we need the best most accessible tutorial to do what Blender is doing, make it easy and get the hype out there. We need cool, upbeat, professional tutorials from Autodesk with great production values. These are the topics we need more of. Rendering with Arnold best practices for professional lighting; what lights work with Arnold, how to set them for professional quality, explain every setting in all the lights that work with Arnold. Arnold Imager effects full overview starting from scratch in Max, through everything and every option. Arnold Physical Material tutorial, explaining every setting all 50 thousand of them. Physical camera tutorials and best practices. Bake to Texture got an update, but the tutorial is old and it only covers a few things. What settings allow us to bake normal maps? Why do we need to change to Scanline renderer just to get most of the maps? The Bake to texture needs to work with Arnold. We need Normal, Displacement, ambient occlusion, at least. I have to leave Max and go to Substance painter to bake and I don't want to a lot of the time. We need an up-to-date Bake to Texture tutorial explaining every setting and best practices. Max also needs a better retopology tool: more like Zbrush. It should auto combine objects and have a symmetry setting just like the Symmetry tool update in the modifiers stack. Max needs to be making cool tutorials every month to keep the knowledge up to date and to keep kids from moving to Blender. They keep adding cool features and we are lagging behind. There are so many cool features other programs have that we are missing. Autodesk needs to watch the Blender tutorial and make ours even cooler. Kids ask me during class all the time, will we get to learn Blender; it's happening so much that I wouldn't be surprised if other schools started teaching it. Their renderer looks good by default, like Substance Painter. We need to make Max as beautiful and user-friendly as possible.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report