Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vray Next - Lights and cast shadows

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2414 Views, 5 Replies

Vray Next - Lights and cast shadows

Hello there,

I did a quick scene so I can test materials and lights in Vray next. Thing is I don't get cast shadows and I don't know why.

In my scene, I created 3 lights (all with cast shadows option activated😞

- a dome at the top with HDRI

- a plane by the left

- a plane behind

Here's the result. Any idea why there's no cast shadows?

cast_shadows.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

For me it is natural result. Object is translucent- there is very soft shadow on the right. If you want it more shapey you should use less light source and the light source should be small. If you have dome light, there is no space for shadow...

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

I created the dome light so I can put HDRI to get better reflections on the glass materials. I don't know an other way to put HDRI without being associated to a Vray Dome Light. But even without the Dome light and adding a simple cylinder with no transparency material on it, I still don't get cast shadows. I do have the reflect on the bottle but no shadows on the wood board.

I don't understand where it goes wrong.

dispo.jpgcast.jpg

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

You sill have no shodow, cause dome light is all around everything (like sky outside).
If you want the dome light to affect only reflections of object then go to modify panel of that light, go to "options" rollout and uncheck "Affect diffuse". 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Thank you. It's my first scene so I still don't know about options. I do one thing here, one thing there and check if the result's ok. Anyway, good tip about dome light/HDRI without diffuse effect.

In the end below, I have 3 plane lights (left, behind, right) and the dome. There's indeed some cast shadows, softer than I was looking for but I'll try again with another scene.

Thx.

01_resultat_final.jpg

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Try manipulate with the light sources size and multiplayers of the lights (lower the multiplayer of right or left light to get more shodow on this side). Smaller light source gives more sharp shodow (like in real world). Good luck. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report