Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vray Glass material

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
25008 Views, 7 Replies

Vray Glass material

Need help on the my issues, i am using Vray as renderer and using vray material, i have created a glass material with the help of a post on another forum, its good but i am getting weired reflections coming from inside, can any one suggest what i am missing?

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Diffus3d
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm guessing your glass is just a plane, give it some thickness with a shell modifier and should be better.  

EDIT:  Also, you need refraction for glass.  Looks like it's set to black, so I'm not sure how you are actually getting refraction here.  Strange. Try setting it to white, like 250.  

Alfred (AJ) DeFlaminis

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

View Max Tips/Tricks Megathread
Message 3 of 8
kgokhangurbuz

Hi;

Your glass to be material is missing refraction which is a must.

Please try these:

-Set reflection to pure white

-Set reflection glossiness to 1.0

-Set refraction to pure white

-Set refraction glossiness to 1.0

-Check "Affect Shadows" option ON under refraction parameters.

-Set the glass color via Fog Color parameter under Refraction options (optional).

After applying these, share another rendering with me so i can give you further information if you are not satisfied with what you achieve.

Regards;

Message 4 of 8
Fahad_ALAsmari

Remember glass it has different types the glass material you have made maybe it will work better for cup or window for example the tutorial that you follow maybe it was aiming for different type of glass, this type of glass material is not gonna work for your car glass.

Message 5 of 8
Figster1962
in reply to: kgokhangurbuz

kgokhangurbuz your post was most helpful to me, thank you.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Hello, I checked your "Polo5.jpg ‏307 KB" image, I think that is not a reflection from inside, that is because of IOR which comes under refraction tab. I think that IOR must be set to 1.6 or something by looking at your image (inner interior / seat) distortion... just try set it to 1.01 or 1.02 and see the shader display icon where we can see how shader will look as a result. I think this can fix your distortion issue and will look like a glass.

Even one more thing I would like to add..

To create a realistic car glass effect, you can add "VRay Fresnal" in your reflection color (image input) and adjust start and end color accordingly as black and white until you get the desired effect.

Message 7 of 8
laomusic_arts

It all depends on what kind of glass.
Here are some useful ones (Glass & IORs):

Glass 1.500 -
Glass, Albite 1.489 -
Glass, Arsenic Trisulfide 2.040 -
Glass, Crown 1.520 -
Glass, Crown, Zinc 1.517 -
Glass, Flint, 29% lead 1.569 -
Glass, Flint, 55% lead 1.669 -
Glass, Flint, 71% lead 1.805 -
Glass, Flint, Dense 1.660 -
Glass, Flint, Heaviest 1.890 -
Glass, Flint, Heavy 1.655 -
Glass, Flint, Lanthanum 1.800 -
Glass, Flint, Light 1.580 -
Glass, Flint, Medium 1.627 -
Glass, Fused Silica 1.459 -
Glass, Pyrex 1.474

Enjoy!
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

It does help me, thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report