Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsure if Arnold or Vray

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
Anonymous
29998 Views, 25 Replies

Unsure if Arnold or Vray

Hello, i'm unsure which render to learn. Vray is much longer around and works with real light behaviour, also a scan library.

Arnold however has a solid documentation via solid angles website.

Now both dont have many online tutorials, or atleast no good series except the one of mograph plus

I saw this https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=4XhVy_8QYaQ

and wondered if arnold can do this somehow

25 REPLIES 25
Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: Francisco_Penaloza

The renders of Enscape  doing a random google search don't look great. I was simply curious about that engine you mentioned.  I suppose you trade quality and flexibility with speed and less complexity, a bit as Keyshot does.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Enscape&num=100&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB781GB781&source=lnms&tbm=isch&s...

Message 22 of 26
Francisco_Penaloza
in reply to: Anonymous

Of course is one click solution is far from perfect, by as I explained, for the instance when top quality is not necessary, this is perfect, you don't spend any time at all on settings, just concentrate on the image.

Now if you work is high-end renderings this is not the tool for you.

Message 23 of 26
madsd
in reply to: Francisco_Penaloza

There are some statements and lack of knowledge in this thread that outpright frighten me to read.

Message 24 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: madsd

Looking back at this now, yeah. Pretty dumb answers.

Message 25 of 26
Anonymous

In my opinion V-Ray fakes everything but Arnold not, I'm not sure. But my choice is Arnold.

Message 26 of 26
toby.gainesQTXCX

Arnold is "out of the question" if you want the best tool for the job, that's all. It doesn't have any kind of Interpolated GI or solution baking, so it's really slow for archviz where you frequently render the same camera angles with nothing moving, for days. Arnold has to sit there and cook the GI over and over again for every single render - and that's absolutely horrible for flythrough animations, b/c archviz studios do not have, or want, big render farms. 

I'm personally in VFX - and I'd put Arnold in 3rd place at best. Yea it has all the nerdy stuff that programmers like to play with, but that's putting the cart before the horse - if it takes 4 times longer to render, yet it can't render any things that the others can't, then you're either going to blow more money unnecessarily, or you're going to cut quality... unnecessarily, and/or push all your deadlines. Most shows that I've used Arnold on have cut out raytrace reflections and some GI for the sake of speed. DD and Method both use Vray, incl. for Marvel movies, with all the raytracing, so it's obviously a good choice for VFX. I would not be surprised if Renderman was better, but I haven't used it since they switched to raytracing, so I can't comment on it - but I can't imagine that Arnold is better. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report