Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Translation problem

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
PulsartVideo
803 Views, 4 Replies

Translation problem

Good morning all,
I have a strange problem in 3ds Max 2017.
When I move an item in the viewport, instead of moving smoothly, it jerks.
It is not a display problem but a translation problem. The object jumps regularly as if there is a displacement constraint every x centimeters.
I have a problem with the animations and I have the impression that it is linked ... I animated a rotating planet (while in the viewport the rotation is going well ...) and the rendering the different layers (Earth, atmosphere, clouds) do not behave in the same way.  
I am attaching 2 images to you where we can clearly see the collisions and the atmosphere which moves. While they all have the same pivot.
Thanks for your help.

Terre_Blue_2397.png

Terre_Blue_2398.png

  

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

If your object has a jerky movement in the viewport, you need to check your units and the scale that you are modeling.
For example, if you are modeling a planet at real size, Lost of Kilometer in diameter, but your units are in Milimiters, you'll have a viewport problem.
The same happens backward if you modeled your planet a few millimeter diameters, and your units are Kilometers.
Also, depending on your scene, you should try to place your objects as close is possible to the 0,0,0 coordinate; if they are too far from it also will create jerkiness.
I never trust 100% te viewport visuals; IMO doing test rendering is the best way to know how things will look at the end.

Message 3 of 5

Hello,
Thank you for your response, even if it comes too late ...
So I understand that my problem must come from the distance to point 0,
which is very large. In this case, how to realistically represent the solar
system to scale?

Thank you
Message 4 of 5

Well, I  have participated in some space scenes creation and you can't build it 'up to scale'. Space is too big.

What you do is get general information and relation of sizes and distances and make them look like they are but, they are not, you know Hollywood style 🙂

All space imaginary is done that way, also you can play with camera lens sizes to accentuate or diminish distances. This is a common trick in photography too.

Just try to keep a good ratio on sizes, for instance between Earth and moon, or Earth and the Sun, or any other planet with surroundings moons.

The important thing for 3D Max is; if you will model at large scale, let's say a planet with a few kilometers in diameter, then set your units to Kilometers and not Milimiters.

Message 5 of 5

Bonjour,
Ok je comprend le principe.
Merci

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report