Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texture Resolution VS Texture File Size

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
6757 Views, 11 Replies

Texture Resolution VS Texture File Size

Hi 

Just wondering what effects rendertime, Ram, etc more - the filesize of my bitmap or the resolution ? 

So is it faster with an a 8k texture thats olny 1MB big or an 2k texture thats 10MB big.

So will the filesize affect my memory more than a big texture resolution ?

Thanks,

Rob

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
irishman_team_kilber
in reply to: Anonymous

it will depends how much ram you have inside your computer, the more things you have in your scene lights models, animation camera sfx etc all have to be calculated  and then rendered, the longer it will take to render, if you have a small scene with a few objects the unless time it will take to render your scene.

everything effect memory the more stuff you have on your computer's hard drive the unless memory you will have to use, everything you install uses up memory sorry if this sound condescending

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: irishman_team_kilber

Thanks, but i meant in general: Does it depend more on the filesize or on the resolution of the texture ?

Message 4 of 12
RGhost77

@Anonymous You talk about different image formats, without or with MIPmap?

Royal Ghost | veda3d.com
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: RGhost77

Without MIPmap.

I am talking more about png, tifs, or any other uncompressed format.

So i have the same texture twice: 

First one    :  PNG (4000x4000px) - Filesize is 1MB

Second on :  PNG (500x500px)     - Filesize is 10MB

Which one will load, render faster? Which one will consume less RAM? 

So is it possible to gerneralize it to something like "Big resolutions do not matter as long as the filesize is small" ?

Message 6 of 12
CAMedeck

From what I understand, it is mainly the resolution of the images being used as textures that will decide how much RAM you are using.  If you save a texture map as a JPG with high compression, the file size will be small.  But 3ds Max will need to decompress that image to use it.  So compressing an image file will not significantly reduce the amount of RAM needed by Max when applying that texture.

This is information I'd gleaned from forums over a decade ago, and have always assumed it to be true.  It makes sense to me, anyway.  I'd be interested to see if anyone else has another opinion or facts regarding texture map sizes.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: CAMedeck

Thats why i specified my question to PNGs, TIFFs. I know PNGs are not really uncompressed, but TIFFs are.

So lets just look at TIFFS to specifie my question even more:

First one    :  TIFF (4000x4000px) - Filesize is 1MB

Second on :  TIFF (500x500px)     - Filesize is 10MB

Is it now possible to gerneralize it to something like "Big resolutions do not matter as long as the filesize is small" ?

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

Thats why i specified my question to PNGS, TIFFS. I know PNGS are not really uncompressed, but TIFFS ar.

So lets specify my question even more:

First one    :  TIFF (4000x4000px) - Filesize is 1MB

Second on :  TIFF (500x500px)     - Filesize is 10MB

Are high resolutions making a difference if the filesize is still small ?

Message 9 of 12
CAMedeck

Are your numbers actual dimensions and file sizes, or are they arbitrary?

If you are not compressing an image, then the file size is directly related to the resolution.  The other factors would be the bit depth (how many bits per pixel) and other channels, like alpha.  Saving an Alpha channel will add to the size.  Reducing bit depth to 8-bit will reduce the file size, but also the quality.

I'm not sure if a 500x500 pixel TIFF could possibly be 10MB.  Or a 4k square TIFF be as low as 1MB.  I feel I can't give you much more of an answer without using some realistic data.  

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks for that, its getting clearer to me now.

I made these numbers up, but I was thinking about specific textures. I will have a look for them and post the actual dimensions or share a link so you can check them out.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

As you might guess this depends on a lots of other parameters concerning both software/hardware setup.

Nevertheless If we ignore all the other less important variables. It all comes to storage access/transfer speed vs processing power (and to an extend RAM speed). There is not a rule of thumb about this but %90 of time a texture with smaller dimensions in pixel but greater files size is probably going to render faster than a texture with smaller file size but greater pixel dimension. (Unless you feed your textures to render engine through an abysmal storage device or network). 

That being said for a noticeable speed difference your scene must be reasonably texture heavy. You won't feel any difference between a teapot with a 4K tex@1MB vs 1K tex@10MB. Why? Because a 4K 8bit texture is 4096px X 4096px X 3 Byte/ (24bit total channel - without alpha) = ~50MB in RAM. to shade pixel (read:render) assuming we are talking about cpu rendering, cpu needs a 50 MB read from RAM (which is a trivial amount from CPU-RAM bandwidth point of view), than it needs to figure out what parts of that texture it is going to need (using UVW coordinates), do some filtering etc. if this whole process takes 0.08 seconds, and the 1024px x 1024px x 3Byte = ~3MB counterpart  takes, say, 0.04 seconds; resolution vs filesize won't matter that much in a 120 seconds render.

Other thing to consider is texture operations are not computationally heavy compared to say, other operations that needs lots of ray samples such as Monte Carlo GI, glossy reflections, area lights shadows etc . One might argue that all those rays gonna hit other textured objects which then will require texture operations to return a value, but still in those cases other calculations outweight the texure ones by far.

Still, in a nutshell, less pixel dimensions mean less work for cpu/ram thus it does almost always render faster. (but not much i'm afraid)

Of course this proposition applies in a situation where the following conditions are met:

1. All your scenes assets must fit in your RAM. (if not other less important variables that I mentioned above comes into play.)
  2. You have an acceptable bandwidth to your textures assets in storage.

Best regards,

Message 12 of 12
RGhost77

Also most of renders can shows statics how much time is needed to load and process bitmaps when rendering.

Royal Ghost | veda3d.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report