Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TEXTURE ATLAS IN 3DS MAX

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
10199 Views, 5 Replies

TEXTURE ATLAS IN 3DS MAX

Can someone tell me how to texture atlas in 3ds max. is this even possible?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

What do you mean by Atlas? Do you really mean a Globe?

An atlas is a collection of maps, a globe is a sphere with a map of the whole planet.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

a texture atlas is commonly used for games, to limit the draw calls of the game engine, it takes all the textures of every game asset, and puts it in one uv tile, so theres one uv for everything. ?there are some plug ins that do it with the push of a button. but with max i think it must be done manually. iv worked out the method in my head so i think im good.?
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

So it is a collection of maps then. I don't work in games, I've not heard of Atlas used in thet context before.

I'm not aware of an automated way to do this in vanilla Max. Maybe it could be scripted. But without scripts or plugins I guess it's a case of doing it manually with one big map and placing the UVs on it.

Message 5 of 6
StephenMF

Maybe this? http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/texture-atlas-generator

Also you can do it manually by assigning the same material to all objects and then select all objects and apply a UVW modifier to all at once. Now you can layout all the UV islands in a 0-1 UV space.

Enjoy!

Stephen

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Hello! 

1)  Bring all your textures into a single 4096x4096 or 8192x8192 (etc.) image in Photoshop or?  (Laying them out to fit as big as possible while leaving as little empty space as possible)

2) In material editor make a copy of your material with a different name (is temporary anyways)  then put your new giant single texture in the diffuse slot of every sub-material.  (or just make a multi-material that has the same number and clone the first material with the big texture in diffuse to do it quickly)

3) assign the new material to the object, it will look crazy but not for long!

4) assign an 'UNWRAP UVW' to the mesh in modifier stack.  Open the UVW Editor, (button near top of Unwrap modifier),  in the UV Editor window:  look at bottom right, a drop-down that lets you select Material ID's!!!

Look at upper right, a drop-down that lets you select (or even load) what image (the ATLAS) you want in the background of this edit window!   Look at up and lower Left...!  Common controls like Select, Move, Rotate and Scale!  hhmm,.  You get it?  🙂

5)  Select a Material ID that has a known shape, like the Head.. You should see the Head Mesh Flattened out and (it's UV's basically) looking like the familiar shape its TEXTURE is,. SO, making sure your BIG IMAGE (ATLAS) is in the background, Select the Head (you can choose Vertices or Faces etc even in this window!)  in the UV Edit Window, then WITH ALL,  OF ONLY,  THE HEADS VERTICES OR FACES SELECTED, MOVE, and SCALE (AND OR EVEN ROTATE!) until it is aligned with its proper texture, that you made in Photoshop!  yOU CAN USE zoom wheel ON MOUSE TO ZOOM N, MAYBE EVEN 'ctrl +'   AND THERE ARE zoom extants AND zoom selection SELECTION TOOLS FOR THAT MATTER! 🙂

You see??  IT IS SO POWERFUL!!   YOU HAVE UTTER AND TOTAL CONTROL! IT IS SO EASY ONCE YOU KNOW HOW!

Then do material id,.. until they are all in the 'right' place relative to the ATLAS you made.

THEN WHEN DONE,  add an EDIT MESH modifier, select all the faces,  go into the Edit Mesh modifier and change all the faces to Material ID 1.

6)  Make a third material, that has only one slot (not multi-material) and put your atlas in the Diffuse,.  Apply to mesh. DONE!

What I do, is keep my ATLAS Work in a Photoshop PSD FIle, then I have the DIFFUSE  as a guide when I do my Normal maps, my Specularity (or Metallness and Roughness) and Bump and Self-Illumination/Light emission maps!

Any GRAYSCALE Maps, can be assigned to the RBG or ALPHA Channel as a... (oh sorry that is a little to far into game theory and UE4 stuff,. I don't want top confuse you!) 

Cool, huh??  I am making the ultimate VR game using Max, this technique.. UNREAL Engine, check it out announcement soon!  youtube.com/NextWorldVR

If this helped you, BUY ME A COFFEE! 🙂(or ten pounds of coffee LOL) - Direct paypal donation link:

https://t.co/EiBlRnwAGX?amp=1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report