Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Test Animation Output

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
421 Views, 2 Replies

Test Animation Output

Does Arnold have the option (like mental ray) for Material Override?

I ask because I used to use that a lot for text renders of my animations. I could use a very basic material, minimize my render settings and quickly output text renders of my animations for my clients to review... I've not been able to find that feature in Arnold and feel stuck as to how to show my clients my animations. I for sure cant spend 3 days rendering a test to show them... I've taken to just recording my screen with my phone of the animation playing in shaded view... Arnold must have a better solution than than - yes? 

Thanks in advance... I'm getting there with Arnold but I have to say... if using 2013 was still an option... I'd jump on it, I'm not thrilled with all the changes, feels like a major step backwards to me... but maybe I'm just missing all the improvements, I'm willing to accept that possibility. Problem is, my work takes a lot longer, and is not anywhere near as good.... ugh.

Oh - what happened to animation previews from the animation menu???

Frank

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Stephen.Blair
in reply to: Anonymous

If you Ignore Shaders (and have no exposure control) you get something like this:

maxtoa_ignore_shaders.jpg

Ignore Shaders is on the Render Setup > Diagnostics tab.

Arnold does have a material override, but it's not exposed in most applications because the apps have their own way of doing global material overrides.

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Stephen.Blair

Cool, that's helpful, thanks. 

I ended up just applying a flat very basic Arnold shader to everything, saving that out as a new file and rendering the full sequence. It took a few hours... but that's a lot better than a few days. I'll look at that "ignore shaders"

Frank

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report