Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Substance2 in Max2020

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
subs
612 Views, 1 Reply

Substance2 in Max2020

I had played around with B2M in Max2018 briefly, now I am using Max2020 in earnest and going through the Substance in 3DS Max for Arnold videos on LinkedIn Learning.  The Substance2 material did not show up, so I downloaded and installed the Substance In Max2020 plugin from Substance (by Adobe).  The Substance2 material now appears. 

The tutorial briefly showed Substance materials showing up in the 3DS Max Asset Library.  It does not show up in mine. I can access the Source directly, so I'm not overly concerned with this, but if you know why, I wouldn't mind learning the answer.  I do have a license to the complete package from Substance btw (Alchemist, Designer, Paint etc).

Continuing with the tutorial, he loads B2M3-1.sbar into the Substance2 material, then loads a grass texture into a bitmap from the exercise assets. Selecting the Substance2 material, where there were only outputs, a set of inputs appears above the outputs (connection dots on the upper left as well as the output dots at the lower right).   When I select the Substance2 material, I never get the expanded import nodes.  So I can go no farther in the tutorial.  Why is that? The B2M3-1.sbar is from 2019, when I was running an earlier MAX, so I thought maybe the SubstanceInMax2020 file I just installed created a B2M3-1 substance package appropriate for Max2020. I do not see that anywhere.  What does SubstanceInMax2020 do, in it's entirety.  I know it made Substance2 available in Max2020.  Is that all?  Had I not already had B2M3-1.sbar from an early 2019 installation, wouldn't I have gotten that from the SubstanceinMax2020 install?  The product website is so vague on all this.  Seems like it was working when it was Allegorithmic and now that it is Adobe, things are broken and I'm just confused.

Any ideas as to my issues in the above?
Responses appreciated.  Thanks.
Buck Wyckoff
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
subs
in reply to: subs

I just reloaded the Bitmap2Material_3-1.sbar that was already loaded in the Substance2 material, and the Slate material representation redrew and the inputs where there.

Well ain't that some …

Nevermind.

Buck Wyckoff

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report