Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silver/metal too black

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
t_smith5
1375 Views, 4 Replies

Silver/metal too black

Hi

I'm currently rendering a model using V-Ray and I'm having trouble with the buckle material. It's silver, but it's showing too much black. I've even struggled to adjust it in Photoshop on my final render. I've tried messing with some of the options, but nothing appears to be changing it in the interactive render. I've also tried re-positioning and adjusting the size of the light plane. Any suggestions on how I can reduce the blacks? Thanks.

3dsmax_tLGFYkXjlc.png

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
domo.spaji
in reply to: t_smith5

Give it something to reflect (except light)

Now it looks "psychically correct" - if you throw it in (outer) space

Message 3 of 5
t_smith5
in reply to: domo.spaji

I'm not sure I follow...

Message 4 of 5
10DSpace
in reply to: t_smith5

@t_smith5 

The black is coming from the environment which looks to be all black.  So for example, if you put something in the environment (eg., walls, furniture, etc)  with different colors  then that will be reflected in the metal material.  If you don't want to model things just for showing your textured character,  you can place an HDRI map in the texture slot of a Vray dome light.   Check out tutorials on using HDRI lighting in Vray.     There's a few here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=3ds+max+vray+hdri+lighting&oq=3ds+max+vray+HDRI+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j...

This is like what you see in Substance Painter when you are working on textures because there is an HDRI Map in the environment in SP that gives the reflected materials something to reflect.

Message 5 of 5
t_smith5
in reply to: 10DSpace

Ahh, I see. Gotcha. Makes sense. >_< From following a project book I have, the 'environment' has just been given a VRayMtlWrapper with a VRayMtl base just for capturing the character's shadows. I've only been collecting the different render layers for the character, so everything around it is black.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report