Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shadows in viewports

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Rob_Durham
2817 Views, 2 Replies

Shadows in viewports

Hi all,

I’m having a little trouble with shadows not displaying or updating properly in the viewports in 2017.

The model is a second attempt after starting over from scratch. The funny thing is that in the first model, which I still have, the shadows are behaving exactly as they should.

When comparing the settings of the lights in both models side by side, I cannot see any differences.

The model is that of the solar system and light source is a standard omni light in the centre representing the sun. The shadow is caused by the moon occulting the earth and in my first model it casts a circular shadow on the earth which updates and moves as the bodies move, albeit it takes a few seconds to render correctly.

In the second model, it started to show a kind of circular shadow at first although it was heavily pixelated, but as I have gone through all the settings and tried to match them up to the first model the shadow has now become a faint haze that is more like a vertical slither than a circle.

I have tried copying and pasting the omni light from the first model, I’ve tried changing from shadow map to ray trace to mental ray to area shadow, which does make a slight difference to the shadow but none make it circular as it is in my first model which uses the shadow map setting.

I am stumped. Any ideas?

I've attached a couple of screenshots of the two models for comparison.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jamesw
in reply to: Rob_Durham

Hi, Do you have your viewport setting correct. See attached. 

Message 3 of 3
Rob_Durham
in reply to: jamesw

James,

Yes, I had all those settings correct. It turns out all I had to do was turn the light off and back on again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report