Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self Illumination map not rendering

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
2440 Views, 8 Replies

Self Illumination map not rendering

Hi, I have 3d studio max 2017. Im pretty new to all this, sorry for the newbie question, i did look to see if others had this problem and couldn't find anything... I have a kiosk model with a TV screen, i put a arch and design material with self illumination checked, All worked ok.

I imported the model into my main scene, and it just stopped working.

Hopefully screenshots can help.

withIllumination.PNGwithoutIllumination.PNG

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
kennyj
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous!

Have you tried ramping up the intensity (or Luminance) of the Self-Illumination?  Run it up high to see if it shows up, then tone it back down to find the balance you need.  It is likely the lighting of your main scene is washing out the self illumination glow.

Hope this helps,

Kenny

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: kennyj

hi @kennyj I had given up on the problem, started on antoher area on the project and all of a sudden it started working in the render, i have no idea what happened but i must have done something, ha... Thanks for your help!

Message 4 of 9
Alfred.DeFlaminis
in reply to: Anonymous

Well done @Anonymous, you managed to solve it before I could even get in here.  Nice work!

Best Regards,

Message 5 of 9
darawork

Yeah, usually I have to boost the dimmer by about 10,000,000cd to get it shining. What was once a candle needs to turn into a neutron star for it to appear in a scene with a daylight system.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 6 of 9

I have had the same experience on occasion.  Smiley LOL  Not much different with IES lights in any renderer + daylight, at least in my travels...

Best Regards,

Message 7 of 9

I'm having the same problem, and I can't find any control for the luminance intensity. I'm using a basic scanline red material.Here's a screen shot of my setting. Trying to make the tail lamp lenses illuminate.

Thanks,

Dave

Peace,
Dave

System Information:
------------------------------
3DS Max 2023 and 2024
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Dell Precision 5820
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10920X CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3504 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
Display Adapter: NVIDIA RTX A4000
Adapter RAM (1,048,576) bytes
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 63.7 GB
Available Physical Memory 45.6 GB
Total Virtual Memory 81.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 56.5 GB
Page File Space 18.0 GB
Message 8 of 9
truckexpert
in reply to: truckexpert

I have solved my own problem. You have to add a GLOW map to the self-illumination. It is to the right of the self-illumination color. Do NOT add the glow map to the diffuse color.

Peace,
Dave

System Information:
------------------------------
3DS Max 2023 and 2024
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Dell Precision 5820
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10920X CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3504 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
Display Adapter: NVIDIA RTX A4000
Adapter RAM (1,048,576) bytes
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 63.7 GB
Available Physical Memory 45.6 GB
Total Virtual Memory 81.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 56.5 GB
Page File Space 18.0 GB
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

how will I ramp up the level of self illumination????

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report