Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

See exclusion/inclusion of a light in the viewport?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
animatedt
454 Views, 6 Replies

See exclusion/inclusion of a light in the viewport?

Hello,

It is possible to have a light (by using the exclusion/inclusion option) not affect a particular mesh object.

However, this effect is only visible in the render.

I was wondering how can I see this in the Nitrous viewport itself, to have a light not affect an object in the viewport.

I recall it was possible in an earlier version of max

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
RobH2
in reply to: animatedt

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. Do you mean that if you exclude an object it, it's automatically hidden?

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 7
darawork

Hi,

Using 3DSMax 2022.3 and Corona Render 10.1, I can't seem to get the middle box to not be lit up by the Corona Point Light. No matter what I do it always seems to be recieving light in the viewport.

I tried excluding the middle box inside the include/exclude settings of the light, the object properties of the box, and messing around with High Quality viewport settings.

darawork_0-1705658584624.png

It would make sense to be able to do this, but it seems like there is no (longer) a direct link between object light properties and the viewport in, 3DSMax 2022, afaict. It works in the render window, but not in the viewport.

Regards,

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 4 of 7
animatedt
in reply to: RobH2

I just reframed the question.

Message 5 of 7
RobH2

Hopefully a Corona user will come and assist you. I haven't used Corona in about 5-years so I'm not able to open it and diagnose. V-Ray works as expected so I'm guessing there is a Corona setting that will get you going. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
Message 6 of 7
animatedt

Corona or any renderer has nothing to with this.

The question is about 3ds max viewport.

@daraworkplease edit your reply so there is no confusion for future reference. I think you are also pointing to the same thing as my original question.

Message 7 of 7
RobH2

I haven't been able to find any setting that allows this functionality in Nitrous viewports. You likely know this already, but it will work in 'Direct3D' driven viewports. I posted a video to help new users who don't know how to switch the software in case they want to see excluded objects in the viewport. 

But as to your original question, I can't find any way to do it in Nitrous drivers at all. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report