Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Render To Texture ShadowMap with Default Scanline

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2499 Views, 5 Replies

Render To Texture ShadowMap with Default Scanline

Hello,
I would like to know if it still possible to render a shadowmap using Render To Texture in newer version of 3dsMax (2017 - 2018) ? It seems it doesn't work like in version 2016. All my generated maps are white.

Do you have any recommendations to render quickly a shadowmap ?

Thank you.

Tags (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
madsd
in reply to: Anonymous

Enable selected element unique settings, tick shadows and light.

This makes the blank RTT image return an image with shadow mapped shadows, and if unticked, the image returned is blank.

2018-05-03_00-11-38.jpg

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: madsd

Thank you but the current bake element you are using is a mix of diffuse and shadow map, I'm trying to use ShadowMap bake element but without any success in 2017 and 2018. Do you have any tips to have only the shadowmap (black and white texture) like in 2016 ? Thanks again !
Message 4 of 6
madsd

Works fine, the photoshop document reveals that the texture on disk is pure black and pure white using shadowmap as output.

Don't forget to flag this post as solution if it solves the problem. ( It should, I complied to all requests )

2018-05-03_00-33-32.jpg

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: madsd

Thanks for your quick reply, 

I don't know what kind of voodoo you made, but currently this is my result :

rrr.png

I tried on 2 different computers, with Max 2017 and 2018...

EDIT : Nevermind, shadows don't appear using "Ray Traced Shadows" method since version 2017, but seems to work fine using "Adv. Ray Traced" method. I will accept your solution anyway, thanks 😉

Message 6 of 6
madsd

If you tried 2 computers it must be a workflow glitch.
In my case I used a spot light with shadow mapped shadows. Everything else completly default.
Im out for the day but upload that scene and ill fix it for you in the morning.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report