Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem in rendering with HDRI

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
20787 Views, 10 Replies

Problem in rendering with HDRI

Hi!

I use 3ds max 2013 with vray. I try to render with an HDRI and dome light. I follow the instructions in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SAlM_7iCjo

The result i get is in the attached photo. Always the half of the window is black, even if i delete the glass..Does anyone know what should i do?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
PROH
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi. I don't use Vray, but it sure looks like your spherical HDRI is set to "Screen" instead of "Spherical". A couple of years ago Max's default setting, when dragging a bitmap into the environment slot, was changed from "screen" to "spherical", so maybe the tut is not up to date here.

You can change it by dragging the environment map into a slot in the material editor (compact), chosing "instanced" when asked, and then change "Screen" to "Spherical" (also make sure that the map to "environment").

I believe this should fix your problem.

Hope it helps

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: PROH

I've done that. I have ''spherical'' selected in the enviromental map. I also have the ''map'' selected in the ''enviroment'' tab. I've also put the bitmap as an ''instance''..

Message 4 of 11
kgokhangurbuz

Hi, this is because you are using a Cropped HDRI (there's nothing wrong with that) image and your main object is below Grid Z "0" point.

Please move your objects base level to Z-Axis "0", and use a V-Ray plane for your ground (This will be also your ground, reaching the horizon).

Let me know if you need anything else;

Best regards;

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: kgokhangurbuz

Hi, I created a Vray plane and I moved my base level to Z-Axis "0" (I basically deleted the lower slab that was not needed in rendering, so now the base level is in Z-Axis "0"). The result i get is in the 1st attached photo. Now, instead of black, there's the red Vray plane that appears..

I also attach an orthographic view of my model, where you can see the Vray plane and the dome light.

I also attach the HDRI i use..What do you mean by ''Cropped''?

Thanks a lot for the advice btw 🙂

Message 6 of 11
kgokhangurbuz

Hi,

May i kindly ask you to upload your scene so i can take a closer look at it?

Please save your file as archive and make sure it's saved for 3ds max 2014,
so i can help you.

Best regards;
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Of course!

I've uploaded it in this link: http://www.filedropper.com/hospital-hdri

I hope I've saved it correctly..

Message 8 of 11
kgokhangurbuz

Hi;

First of all i'm sorry to reply this late, but i have good news.

As i inspected your scene, your HDRI file is not cropped, but since you have asked what is a cropped HDRI, i'm attaching two HDRI images below, top one is cropped, bottom one is full (spherical). These images will give you a basic idea about their differences.

vp_hdri-01-panorama-preview.jpg384x192x116-hdri-skies-com1-384x192.jpg.pagespeed.ic.sTZSY4blGC.jpg

Cropped HDRI files are to be used with a VRayPlane object to "have" a horizon, but since you are not using a cropped one, you'll want to remove your VRayPlane from your scene.

Your problem is just a very little and simple thing that you will fix with just a click.

Please select your Dome Light, go to Modify, under Dome Light options, please click on "Spherical (full dome)"

Also, please do not forget to hide / remove your VRayPlane object.

Best regards;

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

It works!!

Thank you so much my friend!! 🙂

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

I am having same problem. when i render, the whole scene is white. ANY HELP? Iuse 3ds max 2015

Message 11 of 11
Lindsey_Robbins

It's an old thread, so you should make a new one, but there can be a few reasons it's all white. 

You have a dome light, with a texture, correct? What color is everything if you turn your dome light off? (assuming you have some other light, just to test to see if it's the dome, or something else.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report