Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pivot Painter, FBX Export, Vertex Color, 2016 License, Nothing Works

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
Anonymous
1002 Views, 0 Replies

Pivot Painter, FBX Export, Vertex Color, 2016 License, Nothing Works

Hi,

So basically, I have been trying to work with the pivot painter tool for weeks and am at the end of my wits as to why nothing works.

First, I'd like to clarify that I'm not a Max user, I work in Maya, but since Pivot Painter only works in Max, Blender and Houdini and I have never used the last two software, I figured my only option was to use Max (although I'm starting to reconsider).

I have tried:

-Using the Pivot Painter Script in 3ds Max 2018

Results: No matter what values I give to my objects, 3ds Max 2018 does not export vertex color or vertex alpha information to the FBX file format. Turns out this bug was fixed in the 2016, but a regression defect has caused it to reappear in the newer versions and it has never been fixed for over 2-3 years?? Anyway, I can import it to UE4 with no problem, but since there is no information in the FBX, the whole mesh is considered ''white'' so I can't control the movement at all despite everything else working fine in UE4 to my knowledge.

I have tried:

-Installing 3ds Max 2016, but as soon as I open the software, it warns me that my license is expired. I'm using a student license and as far as I know, I never had this problem with the 2017-2018 licenses, but the 2016 one is invalid it seems. I tried going for the ''trial'' version, but no matter what I do, I import my object and use the pivot painter tool, everything works and appears fine, but then I attempt to export my object and 3ds Max crashes. Every. Time.

TL;DR

At this point I have this great tool that I really want to use and pretty much need it for my ocean plants, but a bug that was never fixed keeps me from using it in the newer versions of 3ds Max and expired licenses and constant crashes in the 2016 version make the software unusable, thus making the pivot painter tool unusable too. I have tried installing the 2016 version on another computer and there was no license issue, but the software still keeps crashing everytime I attemp to export something.

Any Idea how to work around this ? Is there even a fix other than not Using 3ds Max period ?

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report