Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical Material and alpha map cutout

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
mphillipsESTPB
2162 Views, 7 Replies

Physical Material and alpha map cutout

Hi Everyone,
I am having trouble mapping a leaf to a plane surface. I created an alpha channel map and applied the bitmap as a cutout and have my leaf texture as my base color. However when I render using Arnold my leaf has a slight transparency which I cannot get rid of. Please help !

Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Can you save one of the leafs with the material and upload it here? Will be easier to explain how it works.

Lead Enviroment Artist @Axis Studios

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 3 of 8

See attached file and Images.. Thank you in advance for your help!!

Message 4 of 8

OK, so I had a quick look. What you need is a diffuse map and a opacity map. Isn't a good idea using a psd file as your texture, as this can't be converted to TX files, and is also introducing some opacity errors.

So, connect a png\jpg\targa file as a diffuse map and the same for the opacity.

Lead Enviroment Artist @Axis Studios

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 5 of 8

I was using a .tga map as my diffuse bitmap. However It still makes the leaf semi transparent. when rendering.

Message 6 of 8

@mphillipsESTPB wrote:

I was using a .tga map as my diffuse bitmap. However It still makes the leaf semi transparent. when rendering.

I would use a non-PSD texture for the opacity map too.

What PSD layer did you use? I took the individual layer Layer 1, and the alpha was 1 everywhere.

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 7 of 8

These is the diffuse map I utilized when rendering the leaf. The other was a tga map (I cannot upload to this chat) which you can generate from the previous .psd file I shared. If you can generate your own .tga file and try to render.

Message 8 of 8

I don't have anything for editing psd files

But by using an individual layer from that PSD, I did get opacity (I changed the base color to a flat color, no texture)

StephenBlair_0-1632426962706.png

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report