Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My material library in Ver.9 is not loaded. What do i need to do?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
660 Views, 16 Replies

My material library in Ver.9 is not loaded. What do i need to do?

Sorry for such stupid question..

Thanks for your future replies
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Tim_Wilbers
in reply to: Anonymous

Please specify.

Are you saying you cannot find the 3dsmax.mat file in the root install directory?

Or, are you saying the materials do not contain any bitmaps?

The 3dsmax.mat file is part of the standard installation. Did you install from the DVD or download the 30 day trial? Either way, I think it should be in the \3dsmax\materiallibraries\ install directory, but not in your projects directory in |My documents\3dsmax\materallibraries.

The bitmap files are also part of the standard install. You may need to go to Customize > Configure User Paths: External Files and add the path and sub-path for the \maps folder in the root install directory.
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Now let me help you through what i see on my screen, a more visual could be of much help. I dont have anything visible Browse From Mtl Library, so i have attached this instead.

Thnx for your future replies...

Message 4 of 17
Tim_Wilbers

Try this.
See if it helps.

On #4, you need to browse to the \materiallibraries\ in your 3dsmax root install folder.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous

Hi,

I am not quite sure if i made my initial reply clear. I dont have anything visible in my Browse From Mtl Library. I don't have the 30 day trial but i also don't have the libraries from my C directory. Well, maybe i need to re-install it?

Anyways, i got a chance yesterday to finally catch a minute with an architect working with 3ds max at the office (im a 3ds max fan, so i enrolled in a 50hr course). He said i may be interested to make new materials from the Diffuse parameter. What else can i do for me to have and play with the basic materials from the architecture defaults?

Thank you,

Message 6 of 17
Steve_Curley

Did you follow Tim's directions exactly? Step by Step?

From the position shown in your image, follow Tim's instructions from point (3) i.e. Click the "Open" button.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous

Yep, ok i got it now, teehee..

thanks very much for your help!
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous

Try this.
See if it helps.

On #4, you need to browse to the \materiallibraries\ in your 3dsmax root install folder.

Yes i did and I open materiel library and nothing when i open 3ds max but i check my computer and still have there so i open 3ds max 9 and open materiellabrary and see nothing and why ?
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous

Look and miss materiel library. but I check folder and still have there so Why ??

Message 10 of 17
Tim_Wilbers

Perhaps you are not browsing to the correct location.

Here is what I see in Explorer. I installed Max 9 in the C:\ root directory, not in C:\Programs....

Do you have the files listed?
Have you done a Search for 3dsmax.mat to find the correct location?
Do you have permission to look in the 3dsmax root folder?

Message 11 of 17
Tim_Wilbers

This is what I see in Explorer when I look at the materiallibraries in \My Documents\, and this is where Max will look first (your project folder) until you browse to a different location.

Message 12 of 17
Steve_Curley

Customise > User Paths
Change the Materials line to point explicitly to c:\3dsmax9\materiallibraries
or
copy 3dsmax.mat from there to the materiallibraries directory underneath where the Project Folder points to.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous

Hello, 3ds Max Design is installed on F: Drive. But the 3dsMax.Mat = Material Library is not present in the F: Drive /Materiallibraries, and this directory is empty. I have also made Search in entire Drives, but in vain. In F: Drive, Only Three Materials Templates are present, these are as follows: -

1) AEC Templates
2) MrArch_Design Templates
3) Nature

Which Material Templates among them refer to Standard Material??

Does the name of this Material Library is changed to some Other Name in Max Design 2009?? Where is
Message 14 of 17
Steve_Curley

Oops - accidental post - see the one following this :red:

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 15 of 17
Steve_Curley

Hello, 3ds Max Design is installed on F: Drive. But the 3dsMax.Mat = Material Library is not present in the F: Drive /Materiallibraries, and this directory is empty. I have also made Search in entire Drives, but in vain. In F: Drive, Only Three Materials Templates are present, these are as follows: -

1) AEC Templates
2) MrArch_Design Templates
3) Nature

Looks like you have the downloaded trial version. Those 3 are the only ones installed by the trial (AFAIK).

Which Material Templates among them refer to Standard Material??

1 & 3 use Standard materials, but the AEC ones are just shades of grey - not much use as they stand.

Does the name of this Material Library is changed to some Other Name in Max Design 2009?? Where is

No. It has had the same name since V4 and possibly before that. It normally lives in the same directory as the 3 you mentioned above.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous

Yes, trial version is running. What is the identification of trial Version and what are other differences b/w Trial & Full Versions??. How many Material libraries exist in the full version??. Do the 3dsmax.mat is known as Standard Material library?. Which Materials are included in 3dsmax.Mat?? Does it refer to Standard Materials which are used by Scanline Render??. What is . Am I eligible to do professional work in Max in Trial version?. New Bie Calling.
Message 17 of 17
Steve_Curley

Yes, trial version is running. What is the identification of trial Version and what are other differences b/w Trial & Full Versions??.

The software itself is identical, but there are less "support" files (maps, libraries etc) in the downloaded trial. The trial version has a serial number of 000-00000000
How many Material libraries exist in the full version??.

Do the 3dsmax.mat is known as Standard Material library?.

3dsmax.mat is simply the default library - it loads automatically.
Which Materials are included in 3dsmax.Mat??

There are far too many to list here - about 90 of them (in 3dsmax.mat).
Does it refer to Standard Materials which are used by Scanline Render??

Yes
What is .

As Far As I Know
Am I eligible to do professional work in Max in Trial version?.

Absolutely and categorically not. You must purchase a full commercial license.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report