Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Normal Bake Texture Max2023

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
subs
519 Views, 4 Replies

Missing Normal Bake Texture Max2023

I'm doing all this for the first time and translating what a video tutorial in Max 2021 is doing, to what I see in the Bake Texture dialog in Max2023... and there are issues.

Backstory: I have a 8M poly mesh from an Artec Leo scanner that output a 16K texture map, obj and mtl file.  Importing that into Max, I have a mesh that nicely displays the texture in a shaded viewport and renders sharply due to the 16K texture map.  Adding a UVW Unwrap modifier on the imported mesh, the UV editor shows a layout that matches the texture map used in the material.  As it must.

I used Max2023 Retopology and have a nice 100K mesh.  I want to get a diffuse map and normal map from the high-res mesh onto the low-res mesh.  The tutorial video used a Normal map in scanline mode as a quick method for normal map baking, but that map is missing in the Bake options Scanline section now.  Max2023 help states for the Arnold section of the Bake dialog: "Normals: bakes either the normals of the current object or the normal maps from high resolution to low resolution using a projection. Note: Do not use Arnold_N map for baking normals in Arnold. Use the Normals map."

Problem: There is no normals map in the Arnold section.  There is Arnold_N, but it says not to use it.  So now what to do?

The other part is getting the UVW Unwrap hi-res mesh diffuse map onto the low-res mesh.

I assume this is all doable.  What say ye?

Buck Wyckoff
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
subs
in reply to: subs

Got it.  Thanks anyway.

Buck Wyckoff
Message 3 of 5
Joydriver
in reply to: subs

Hi! Same problem here (no normal map option in the arnold section), how did you fixed this?
Message 4 of 5
CiroCardoso3v
in reply to: Joydriver

Arnold_N should be what you need.

Lead Enviroment Artist @Axis Studios

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
Joydriver
in reply to: CiroCardoso3v

Thanks for your reply, but are you sure about that? Because the baking to texture documentation states this: "Note: Do not use Arnold_N map for baking normals in Arnold. Use the Normals map."

kamielmulders_0-1679309225365.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report