Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mental Ray renders black screen

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
7852 Views, 6 Replies

Mental Ray renders black screen

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to 3ds, using 2014, and trying to render a still image for publication. Aside from all of the memory errors I am getting, when I try to render the scene I just get a black screen. I think it has something to do with my lighting system. It's a daylight assembly, but I'm not sure how to manipulate it so that my scene shows up. Let me know if you need any other files or information, let me know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

-Jackie

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
darawork
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

I rendered your scene in 3ds max design 2015 and it rendered ok for me.

The only thing is, your particles were pretty big (50cm) so I dropped them down to .1cm.

I changed the Envionment and effects 'Exposure control' from 'Photographic Exposure' to 'Exposure value', and set that to 13.

I also changed the Daylight system from 'Date, Time and Location' to 'Manual' and rotated the sun to be behind the camera.

Those changes didn't need to be made for the scene to render initially though, there was no black screen here for me... just massive black particles.

Can you list your system specs? I suspect your problem lies there instead.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: darawork

Thanks for your prompt reply,

I could defenitely see it being my system, since my Windows OS is a virtual machine on a mac. I also sent it to a cloud renderer and it came out black there too. Anyway, here is the system info for the virtual machine. 

Processor: Intel Core i5-3427U CPU @ 1.80GHz 2.29GHz

Installed Memory (RAM): 1.00 GB

System Type: 64-bit Operating System (Wnidows 7 Ultimate)

I will try installing 3ds Max on a work computer with more memory and processing power and see what happens.

-Jackie

Message 4 of 7
Steve_Curley

Parallels? Theoretically supported, but most people use bootcamp. Less convenient perhaps, but works much better.
Only 1GB RAM? You do realise the minimum requirement is 4GB with 8GB recommended?
You also missed out the most important system component - your graphics card.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Steve_Curley

I'm not gonna get into the whole Windows vs Mac battle...I'll probably switch the bootcamp at some point, but for now Parallels serves most of my needs. I would allocate more memory to the virtual machine, but I only have 4GB of memory to start with and it's all but full.

My video card:

Intel HD Graphics 4000:

Chipset Model:    Intel HD Graphics 4000
  Type:    GPU
  Bus:    Built-In
  VRAM (Dynamic, Max):    1024 MB
  Vendor:    Intel (0x8086)

We have a computer at work that we do physics calculations/simulations and other more intense work on, so it looks like I'll be using that for future endeavors with Max.

-Jackie

Message 6 of 7
Steve_Curley

This is not a mac/win battle at all. Most Mac users run Max under bootcamp - search around here and you'll find that's the case.

HD4000 is unsupported and in most cases won't work properly with Max. Only 2 onboard chipsets are supported (HDP4000 and HDP4600).
Max System Requirements. Basically you're trying to run Max on a totally unsuitable system so it's not too surprising you're having problems.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Lol, I guess that's why you check hardware recommendations first...thanks guys.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report