Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mental Ray Problem with Blend Material and Render Elements

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
359 Views, 10 Replies

Mental Ray Problem with Blend Material and Render Elements

There is a problem in the Render Elements when I use Blend Materials with a Mask Map and render with Mental Ray.
Check the file attached. Max file is a Max2009 version. Problem also occurs in ver 2008. Not checked earlier versions.
I have three materials in the material editor.
Try them one by one with Scanline Render - Diffuse Render Element is fine and equal to the original render.
Try them one by one with Mental Ray - Diffuse Render Element shows problems and quite shocking.

1st material uses a TIF map in the mask slot.
2nd material uses the same map saved in JPEG format with a quality of 12 (Maximum) from PhotoshopCS3
3rd material uses the same map saved in JPEG format with a quality of 5 (Medium) from PhotoshopCS3

Is there a way to render elements correctly with mental ray and the blend material?
Thanks in advance.
Rasheed

13532_bAVGgCUAuUPQtkarhjP0.zip

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
CAMedeck
in reply to: Anonymous

The regular elements don't work well with mental ray. In 2009, they've made elements specifically for use with mental ray renderer.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

Chris, it is the mask map in the mask slot of the blend material that is the problem with the mental ray.
The problem still remains.
Try it out in the file I have posted. Just replace the Standard materials with A&D materials and then set the Render Element to the A&D Diffuse element.

Rasheed
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Could one of Forrum Assistants please forward my file and problem description to the developement team.
Is it possible to output render elements from mental ray using mental ray shaders rather than using the max render elements as these do not seem to work with MR?
Thanks in advance.
Rasheed
Message 5 of 11
CAMedeck

Rasheed, there is a Defect Submission Form that you should fill out regarding this issue.

To explain better to anyone else viewing this post, the file attached above contains a simple plane with a blend material on it. There is a black and white bitmap image in the mask slot. With a TIF (uncompressed image) as the mask, the Diffuse element renders correctly. With a JPG saved with minimal compression (quality 12), the element renders with some artifacting around the edge of the mask. However, the main rendered image looks has a crisp edge yet. If a JPG with quality of 5 is used, the main image still renders with a crisp edge, but the element renders with only a few pixels as the second color, and the rest of the area is the first color.

In a nutshell, the element is severely degrading the quality of the bitmap used as a mask in the Blend material when using the mental ray renderer. With Scanline, it all renders as expected. Changing the base materials to A&D from Standard and using the mr optimized elements does not change anything when rendering mental ray.

My apologies, Rasheed, for not reading your post more closely, or fully testing your file.

Chris Medeck
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

Chris, thanks so much for your confirming the problem and so explicitly explaining it. Shall report the bug through the Defect Submission Form tomorrow, once I get back to work. Rasheed.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

I logged this as a bug through the defect submission form and uploaded the max file through defect.submission@autodesk.com on 19-Oct-08. However, have not received any reply till now. Can somebody at the QC end confirm that they have received the information and are working towards a solution.
Thanks in advance.
Rasheed
Message 8 of 11
Steve_Curley

Very unlikely. This is a peer-to-peer forum - users-to-users - not a shortcut to AME support. In other words, don't hold your breath waiting for an answer...

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

Thanks Steve for your advise.
Rasheed
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

Just tested this problem with version 2010 SP1 - problem still exists. Are customer error reports (CER) taken seriously? I posted the CER on 18-10-2008. Still the problem exists. I guess I am too small a fly for Autodesk to care.

Thanks in advance.
Rasheed
Message 11 of 11
CAMedeck

The CER is what is sent when Max crashes. What you did was filled out a Defect Report. Slightly different, but both inform Autodesk of a problem, and they are taken seriously. As far as I know...

I will say that the problem you discovered likely does not affect a large number of users, and is not necessarily crippling. As you show in your example, a low quality jpeg will not render a correct element, but a TIF file will. So you have a way to work around the issue, until it gets fixed. Incidentally, I was playing around with your file again, and discoved the quality of the Element using the Quality 12 jpeg was increased by disabling Filtering (default is Pyrimidal).

Sorry your problem persists, but I recommend resubmitting the defect report with 2010.

Chris Medeck

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report