Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Editor

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
957 Views, 10 Replies

Material Editor

Hi,

I am applying textures to my model but I cant view bump maps or bitmaps in the material editor slot?

Can someone help me please.

Sam

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
darawork
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

Are you using the original type of material editor or the slate material editor?

Can you take a screenshot of the material editor, showing all the important icons and other bits?

Thanks

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: darawork

Please find attached screenshot.

Some of these slots contain graphics and as you can see, it is blank.

Hope you can help.

Thanks 

Sam 

Message 4 of 11
pcrawley

At a guess, we're supposed to be looking at the top-right slot, and possibly the bottom-left?  Since none are selected, we can't see which have bitmaps and which do not.

Could you select one of the materials that's supposed to have a bitmap, then in the materials editor make sure we can see exactly where you've added the bitmap?  Capture and post the screenshot.  (i.e Scroll down so we can see the "Maps" rollout")  

Can you provide a second screenshot after selecting the bitmap so we can see the bitmap parameters?

I would guess that either the bitmap is in the wrong slot - or the bitmap has been cropped - or we're seeing some weird tiling - or something else entirely... 

Peter
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: pcrawley

Hi,

I usually have no problems with maps but I have recently moved to 3ds max 2017 so maybe it is settings I'm not aware of?

I usually place a bitmap in the Diffuse section in Main material parameters.

Let me know if you still need to see a screenshot.

Many Thanks

Sam

Message 6 of 11
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

I just wanted to check in here and see if this was worked out for you?  If not, maybe you can 'Save Selected" on a single object and attach that scene here so I can check it out, I'm happy to do so.  From the glance at your screenshot, those particular shaders have no diffuse maps applied to them, is that possible?  

Best Regards,

Message 7 of 11
pcrawley

Hi Sam.  I wasn't doubting  your abilities with max, but the screenshot provided didn't give us anything to work with.  You said there was a problem with a material but didn't say which one, or show us any of the settings for it.

If you select one of the materials in the editor - preferably the one with the missing images and provide the appropriate screenshots - then we can see the settings for the material and maybe assist with fixing it.  

The other option is to do as Alfred suggests: "Save selected" on the object(s) that have the faulty material so someone can take a look at it for you.

Peter
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: pcrawley

Hi Peter,

I currently have two models open, the one with the blank material has been created in max 2017 and the other was previously created in max 2015.

I can still send the 'Save Selected' if you need it but I thought this might help.

Please let me know if you need to see any of the settings.

Many Thanks 

Sam 

Message 9 of 11
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

Thank you for the screenshots.  Is it possible that the link to the texture is currently invalid?  If you go to File->References->Asset Tracking does the tracker show any missing files there?  Thanks for the information.

Best Regards,

Message 10 of 11

Hi Sam - It feels like this is much harder to solve than it should be (8 replies already!).  It feels like you're reluctant to provide the information requested - but we're only trying to help, and guessing all the time isn't very efficient.  I asked for a couple of screenshots - including the settings so we could see the bitmap parameters, but you haven't provided it, and Alfred asked for a model he could have a look and see what's going on.  But each time you've only provided half a response?

Here's my best guess so far:  You've added the bitmap (1) but left the "Use Real-World Scale" ticked (2).

7-12-2016 9-43-06 PM.png

As you can see in the first and second images, the sample sphere doesn't appear to show the map - but deselecting "Use Real-World Scale" allows the map to show up as expected.

Let me know if I'm close?

If I'm not - can you supply the screenshots (like I have above) so we can see all the settings, AND provide the model as per Alfred's request?

Peter
Message 11 of 11
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

I just wanted to follow up here, any progress on this issue?

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report