Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lights and camera

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
christinabyrnesw
462 Views, 11 Replies

Lights and camera

I added a camera and included a light, when not in the modify tab, the lights turn off. They have to be selected and not in camera view to be on. I also have the issue of the camera view is pixalated. Please help! My final is due sunday and this issue has put the project on hold.

@RobH2 @CAMedeck @wernienst @wojciech.selwa @jgjYRRKE @Anonymous 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
RobH2
in reply to: christinabyrnesw

What version of Max are you using and what renderer? I'll download your file but I want to make sure I open it in the correct Max version. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 12
christinabyrnesw
in reply to: RobH2

I am using the 2024 student version.

@RobH2 

Message 4 of 12
christinabyrnesw

Thank you!!!

Message 5 of 12
RobH2

I had a look at your file. I don't know how large your 'Lathebackdrop' is supposed to be but it's about 2 miles (about 3500 yards) wide. That's pretty huge. Max doesn't do well with super huge models sometimes. I reduced your entire file to something managable. The 'Lathebackdrop' is now about 83 yards wide. 

I deleted your camera and light and placed new ones in the exact same spots. That's a good thing to try when either or both don't behave. That makes sure that you have default settings and is a good diagnostic. Your file seems OK now. I returned it to you.

I think there may have been some corruption with them. 

Open it and see if it works now. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
Message 6 of 12
RobH2

You know what, you may not be able to open the version I sent if you have a Student version. I'm not sure how it works. Let me know if you can't. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
christinabyrnesw

I was able to open the file, but I beleive it was corrupted. All of the elements of the animation were disfigured, but the light did stay on in camera mode. I just tried to lower the file size on another copy and was able to get the light on in the camera, but it is not rendering with light? I am wondering if a big part of it is my computer cannot handle the file?

Thank you,

Christina

Message 8 of 12

Hi!

I've also played around with your file, and i have found two things:

1. With PhysCamera001, the Exposure Gain was set to Manual 0.0. This is nonsense! Use Target instead and then the same value as in Physical Camera Exposure Control/Exposure Value, e.g. 6.0. Next, as mentioned by Rob, replace the spot by an Photometric light. I chose an Arnold Light, set it to Spot and used Radius 1000.0" (!), Intensity and Exposure at 10.0 each, unchecked Normalize Energy. So I could lit your scene.

2. Rescaling the scene would be a better option, but then the shield's FFD Modifier gets mad. I think this is 3dsmax' fault.

Message 9 of 12
wernienst
in reply to: wernienst

This is the altered scene.

(go to Render Setup/Diagnostics and uncheck Shader Override)

Message 10 of 12
RobH2

There you go, someone who knows Arnold better than me on the case. Thanks for joining in @wernienst .

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 11 of 12

christinabyrnesw_0-1691693359553.png

Sadly it looks like that did not work either. Did it work on your end? Any possability it is a computer issue?

Message 12 of 12
RobH2

Something really odd is occuring. It could be a computer issue, video driver, etc. What are your computer specs? 

Try going to 'Customize/Preferences.../Viewports' and in the 'Display Drivers' section click 'Choose Driver...' and pick 'Nitrous Software' or one of the 'Legacy..' options. Restart Max and see what happens. 

This sounds drastic, but what about uninstalling Max and reinstalling it? Before reinstalling it, make sure to update the video drivers. It's come to point where the simple things aren't working and you may have to get drastic to finish by Sunday. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report