Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Levels in 3DS Max

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
1935 Views, 14 Replies

Levels in 3DS Max

Hi,

is there a Levels node in 3DS Max? Never found it.

Of course there is the OSL Remapper for example and another node I found (forget the name), but what I really mean is a node with a display like this that shows what luminance most pixels have:

Screenshot - 01_07.png

Thanks Marcus

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
madsd
in reply to: Anonymous

Not the actual graf, but we can make a node that does a luminance checkup and give you an output type you like, RGB data colors, or just grey tones I guess.
Then you want to be able to lift the bottom, mids and highs independantly it looks like.

But it will be values, no peaks and valleys chart to look at.

We can also add in the lift of bottom and the max clamp value in the bottom slider.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: madsd

Hi madsd,

thanks for the reply.

Can you name those nodes or are you talking about future/possible implementations?

Thanks,

Marcus

Message 4 of 15
madsd

Well, initially my idea is that we look at what you need.

Then I type up some shader, compile it and send over.

If we end up with a shader that is useful for others, Ill submit it for review to be part of a normal install.
Else I just push it to my folder on Zaps Autodesk github page ( I have some shaders there already )

So you basically want something that does it for the levels in photoshop, as an insert node in shading.
Ill try throw something together as a start and return.

Message 5 of 15
madsd

actually, forgot, max already ships with a tweak/levels node.

Try see if that gets you going first, you have lows, mids and highs as well as the feeders and clamping.

ccc.png

Message 6 of 15
madsd

What I could do tho, is port the UI to qt, and bring in some qt widgets, sliders, and just update this one, so you dont work with input values, but instead pull some blue handle on a horizontal line.

But the shader should already do most you need technically.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

Hey Madsd,

that sounds great! Thank you for that offer. Why don´t we have a skype call if you like?

There are a couple of reasons why a display with some options would be super useful, saving time and even preventing ugly results in many cases.

BTW by coincidence I found your YT channel today while searching some other topics.

Best regards,

Marcus

Message 8 of 15
madsd

OK.

We can do that, have you tried to use the levels node to see if its technically fitting? It should, more or less.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

Yeah I have, also the OSL range remapper. I will DM you 🙂

Tags (1)
Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

Actually may I ask what is the best way to DM you? I don´t find an option here, also I didn´t find one on your website....

Message 11 of 15
madsd

You can DM on this forum.
Site has a blue button in right lower corner you can contact me on, email is exposed on the arnold converter page.

I run a facebook group called OSL Shaders you can also contact me there, or on discord, I have 2 support channels for Arnold converter and OSL shaders, and I am also present on the unofficial #3dsmax server on discord.

Which ever fits best.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

Thanks. Found it and send you one! 😉

Message 13 of 15
madsd

I know, I saw the mail.......4 days ago, sorry, will check up on it 🙂

Message 14 of 15
L30n2855

Is there some progress on this topic? 🙂

Message 15 of 15
cjwidd

bump

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report