Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Items rendering as invisible/not rendering properly.

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
6327 Views, 4 Replies

Items rendering as invisible/not rendering properly.

I'm experiencing some problems while test rendering a university project. 

On my model I've created the roof as one complete element but half of it isn't rendering properly. - Image 1 & 2 posted. 

The other problem that I have been experiencing is again a texture not displaying properly. This time the colour of the object isn't rendering and there are also some weird shadows. - Image 2 posted.

The scene has been fully unwrapped and textured. 

There is a basic daylight system in place for test rendering. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

It looks as if the object and the material are not two sided, so you are looking at a backface which will not render with a one sided material.

Message 3 of 5
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello Sophie306,

From the look of your screenshots (and thanks for posting those), I'd say that Samab is correct in that those materials seem to be 1 sided.  When you are using a polygonal object that has only 1 side (such as a plane) the normals of that object only point in 1 direction.  As a result you get what you are seeing here.  There are 2 ways to go about fixing this issue. 

1) As Samab has suggested, try making the material 2 sided.  With standard materials, there is a checkbox for it right at the top of the material settings.  For mental ray, you can enable this function by unchecking "Backface Culling" in the "Advanced Rendering Options" tab of the material. 

2) The 2nd method is to apply a shell modifier to your object, which will give it 2 sides.  (Also, a bit more realistic and 'true to life'.)  The shell has various options for how to deal with the uvs of the new faces, and you may want to tinker around in there with them until you are satisfied. 

For your 2nd screenshot, I'm guessing that for some reason the normals for that object are inside out (i.e. facing inward).  Without the scene file it's hard to know if that wall is a separate object or not, but if it is you can just apply a "Normal" modifier and tick "Flip Normals' and that should solve your problem.  If that doesn't work for you, maybe you can post a slimmed down scene file with that wall. 

I hope this solves your problems and best regards,

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

Thank you so much for your reply. 

Im still a complete novice at 3Ds Max so even the smallest of things completely stumps me! 

Your solutions worked, its now rendering fine. 

Thanks again!

Sophie. 

Message 5 of 5
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hi Sophie306!

I'm really happy to hear that things are working out for you!  If this is your novice work, you have a bright future ahead of you.  Keep at it! 

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report