Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to turn lights off?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
700 Views, 2 Replies

How to turn lights off?

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this here but if it's not I'm sorry. I've been trying to look for an answer to my proble for about half an hour now and I can't seem to find anything.

So I’m trying to make a steampunk airship for school and I’m having trouble with my 3ds max.

Whenever I try to model my airship I can’t seethrough the object so that I can see my blueprint. When I’ve finally figured that out it seems like the lighting turned into this snow looking thing and it’s covering my view on the blueprint.

I've attached two images to show you want I mean with the lighting.

Does anyone know how to turn the lighting off so that I don’t have that trouble anymore?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

Several things to do there.
Change the Viewports to Shaded - Realistic just gets in the way when modeling.
That may well remove the shadows, but if not go to the Viewport Configuration Dialog and choose Default Lights (which disables shadows), or turn shadows off if you must use the scene lights.
Modify the Materials applied to the planes and increase the Self Illumination. You should then be able to see the blueprints through the model (in see-thru mode).

An alternataive to Alt+X is a simple Standard Material with the Opacity animated over 5 frames (from 0 to 100) - at 0 opacity it is just like wireframe mode (completely clear) so much easier to see the blueprints.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Thank you! That helped alot.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report