Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Remove/Put back materials?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
612 Views, 6 Replies

How to Remove/Put back materials?

Hi guys,

I have a scene with many animated textures and it's beginning to lag.

Is there anyway to remove the textures from the scene temporarily? I'm aware of the $.mat = null command, but I would also need to get the textures back in once I'm done animating.

Also, turning off the "Show Shaded Map In Viewport" setting seems to be useless, the lag remains the same.

Thanks guys!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
darawork
in reply to: Anonymous

Would a simple 'Freeze by Hit' not work in this case?

I was thinking for you to maybe configure your User Paths / External files Tab so as to deliberately mis-place the materials, but if they are animated or procedural this wouldn't really make a difference.

I was also thinking about Material Overrides, but the only Material Override process I have ever used is globally through the Render Setup dialogue box, although a per-object material override may exist (like in Maya) I presume this will only work at render time.

Perhaps there are some tips in here that may help a bit more than me: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/3DSMa...

(After a quick scan myself, perhaps changing your viewport driver to Legacy OpenGL driver would do the trick? Make sure to save incrimental backups often if doing this as things might get a bit hairy).

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: darawork

Hi there!

Thanks for all of these tips!

I already tried freezing those elements which were not necessary,but there seems to be very little difference afterwards.

And Material Override only operates in renderings 😧

I switched over to OpenGL and reduced texture file sizes to the minimum amount, but again, the difference seems to be minimal.

I guess that I should put animated textures AFTER doing the main animation, just before the final render xD

Thanks anyway, darawork! 🙂

Message 4 of 7
darawork

Seen as you have already spent time on mapping (and would rather not get rid of the textures), You could maybe 'Save selected...' for parts of the model to export them as different files of the same project and work on smaller selection projects seperately?

Remerging them into a final model composition may be possible, but I'd imagine the process to be a bit complicated.

It you are animating bones of a character or dummy objects though, it may be slightly easier;

http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/12/ENU/3ds%20Max%202010%20Tutorials/files/WSf742dab04106313363d7aea1...

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: darawork

Hmmm.... removing or exporting the animted texture objects doesn't seem to work for me... the project keeps lagging

It's almost as if the lag is permanent once the animated textures are imported.

It may sound nonsensical, but maybe it's the presence of the animated textures themselves that seems to make the project lag.

Is there any way to completely remove textures from a project? I know how to empty a material slot but I don't know if it definetely removes the moving texture itself.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

If your animated maps are spread all around, then this will be too cumbersome, but can you make a directory with animated maps of the same name but just one frame long, rename the directories back and forth as needed?
Message 7 of 7
CAMedeck

Try this:

Go to the Display tab (looks like a monitor with a cube on it) and choose the radio button for Object Color in the Shaded field.  This will ignore the display of materials in the viewports.  And make sure your material editor is not open.  Hopefully it won't try to read the animated textures if it isn't trying to display them.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report