Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
215 Views, 2 Replies

Help?

Hello Autodesk Community,

I'm very new to Autodesk and I need someone to share their expertise. Basically, I have a project to do and I'm using Autodesk to help me do it, but I need some straightforward answers and the Internet doesn't seem to want to provide any. My project is this: I'm trying to make a cube of text, which I've done, and then I want to upload it to Wirefusion so I can create a 3D interface (but thats another story). The problem is, when I go to Rendering (by clicking F9) all that comes up is black. The text is just simple text and it too is black (but I've tried different colours but recieve the same effect). I have been building other things and I discovered Lights helps me see the shapes, but I've tried that with Text and it doesn't seem to work. I just want to be able to go to Render and see the cube of text, preferably black. Can anyone help? And also, does the image that appears on the Render screen matter as I'll be uploading it is Wirefusion?

I'm sure if I bought the latest 3D max manual I would find the answers, but I really can't afford it, so any help you can give me would be extremely appreciated!

Thank you,

HaleyJ

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
StephenMF
in reply to: Anonymous

So many things here!!!

Start by reading the full 3ds Max manual for free here: http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/16/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/index.html (or press F1 in 3ds Max)

When you finished it come back and let us know how your project is going.

Good luck.

Stephen

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: StephenMF

How did you construct this "Cube of Text"? A text object in Max is a line or spline object, it has no solid geometry, so will not render unless you make the spline renderable.

To make it solid you will have to add modifiers to the text, such as Extrude or Bevel. Adding Edit Poly/Mesh will give it a surface with no depth.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report