Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hair and Fur White Spots.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
2282 Views, 7 Replies

Hair and Fur White Spots.

Hi, I'm in need of some help. I'm assuming I got the right info for you:

Product Version - 15.0 Product Update 6 Student.

3ds Max - 2013 x64

Renderer - Mental Ray

Lighting - Mr Sun and Mr Sky (mr Photographic exposure control) 

PROBLEM: I don't use Hair and Fur much, and I'm also an amateur, so I have no idea what's going on. I set the Hairs to Mr Prim or whatever you call it and now I'm getting white reflective like spots. Does anyone know what's happening here? I've looked around a bit, haven't seen anyone with this problem before.

Ignore my silly Cypress Tree cutouts and my ugly wintery background...

Backyard2Post.jpg

If i left out anything let me know!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Brock_Lafond
in reply to: Anonymous

It looks like it might be a material issue. Can you render the hair seperately in scanline and composite it after?

Alias/Wavefront Maya 3 -> Discreet 3DS Max 4 -> ...
Win7 Pro 64
EVGA Classified Super Record 2
Dual Xeon Hexa-Core, 48GB RAM
GTX 780 x 2
Corona Renderer, mental Ray
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Brock_Lafond

That could be it. At around the time I applied a dark green material to the plane that the hair and fur is on is when I started having problems. So I'll be sure to check.

As for your suggestion to fix it, you mean render the hair in scanline and just apply it using Photoshop? I guess I could, I'm not TOO great with Photoshop (thinking about masking around each individual hair....).
Message 4 of 8
Brock_Lafond

When you render our the hair layer for compositing, save out the image with an embedded alpha. That will take care of the masking for you.

If using Photoshop to composite, go to the alpha channel and do a ctrl+click or command+click (Mac) on the channel. It will select the hair pixels for you. Invert the mask and delete the rest of the pixels or apply the selection to a layer mask.

Alias/Wavefront Maya 3 -> Discreet 3DS Max 4 -> ...
Win7 Pro 64
EVGA Classified Super Record 2
Dual Xeon Hexa-Core, 48GB RAM
GTX 780 x 2
Corona Renderer, mental Ray
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Brock_Lafond

Sorry for the delay, I went away for a few days.

I'll play around with it in Photoshop. The only thing I'm worried about is when rendering the Hair and Fur without Mr Prim, the hairs don't have shadows cast on them. At least, that's what was happening before I set it to Mr Prim... I'll figure it out.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume this is a material issue like you suggested. Thanks for the help!

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

I GOT IT!

The problem I was having kept me from working on this any further, but I came back to it. I played around with the Hair and Fur settings a bit and took interest in the two white boxes found in the Materials Parameter. Well obviously the issue I'm having was with white spots appearing on my Fur, and it turns out it was the Specular Tint (second white box) that was giving me trouble. I changed it to green and it blends right in with my grass.

The Specular Tint is now green instead of white.

I'm usually frustrated when people find an answer to something and don't post how they fix it, so this is for anyone who stumbles across this and has the same issue.

Message 7 of 8
Steve_Curley

Thanks for posting the solution 🙂

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 8 of 8
infoXGD56

hair fur.jpg

Hi, I have a similar problem, but the above solutions did not solve the problem. maybe someone came across such artifacts ..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report