Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glass with transparent background

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
18167 Views, 8 Replies

Glass with transparent background

I set up a basic studio in 3ds max and vray and I'm trying to render a product, a ceilling lamp, which has a glass lamp shade and I need to save that as png with no background. Is there a way to do that?

I'm using a simple vray mat for the glass.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
kgokhangurbuz
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi;

Please save as this;

1234567.JPG

and you will get this result (attached as png)

Message 3 of 9
kgokhangurbuz

Reading your question for the second time, you might be asking that how to get rid of your studio objects faces at the render time,

Can you please expand the question and provide some screenshots if i misunderstood?

Regards;

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: kgokhangurbuz

Well, I have this lamp here:

jpeg_lamp.jpg

As you can see the glass doesn't look like much. I tried to use the this render id to remove the background:

rid.jpg

But the glass part still shows up the white background.

Message 5 of 9
kgokhangurbuz

Hi;

Ok now i understand your problem.

As a rule of refraction in 3D world, your object which has refractive material (your glass here, in this case) is processing refraction with the illumination of your native background when you hit your render button. Which leads us to: it actually is not the background you see there, it's the illumination that your background gives to your refractive object to calculate its refraction, even if you try to mask it with alpha channels, and / or render elements, it will be visible so what you are getting is perfectly normal.

Please do the following:

-Under the Refraction section of your glass material, change Affect Channels: Color Only to Color + Alpha

-You can do this for Reflection too depending on your scene setup.

And you will be able to remove / blend your refraction as an alpha channel in Photoshop or similar, just save this as another bitmap image (jpg, png, tiff or any format you want, and use it as a blending layer on your final render.

Hope this solves it for you.

Regards;

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

I am still facing the same problem. I mean I am not getting the render without background.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

I deleted the background plane and it worked for me. Thanks

Message 8 of 9
p.eminov

But its working for me, when I change Color+Alpha or All channels to COLOR ONLY!

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

im having the same problem in maya !!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report