Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fbx import not carrying material data

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
355 Views, 2 Replies

fbx import not carrying material data

Hey,

I'm having an issue where I'm trying to import a object with materials, no textures. The object exports with the materials but the data within those materials is lost. Everything just reverts back to a standard vray material. 

I've exported a few other objects with more complex materials including textures and it's worked. (I know to turn on embedded media).

The only thing I know that is different is the objects have sub groups that include this little 'set square' icon. They carry this icon as a group when I export from maya to max.

Gilbert159_0-1614071118763.png

I have a few questions:

1. Why do groups carried from maya have this icon?

3. What does this icon mean and why is it different to a regular group?

2. How do I remove these groups containing this icon? (There is no option to ungroup)

3. Could this be the issue when exporting with materials?

Thanks

Labels (8)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I thought this would be a quick one 😅

Message 3 of 3
CAMedeck
in reply to: Anonymous

I am not very familiar with Maya, so I can't help on some of your questions.

The icon you're referring to is a Helper object.  In the hierarchy, any objects below that are linked to that object. To unlink them, select the child objects and click the broken chain link icon in the upper left of your toolbar.  Or, try deleting that helper object.  

I can't help with the materials portion of your question, sorry.  What kind of information is being lost from those materials from Maya?  

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report