Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

distributed render - Nodes render different results

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
andrewmcadam1402
4682 Views, 16 Replies

distributed render - Nodes render different results

Hi.

When i use distributed rendering the extra nodes sometimes render different results. They're normally too bright. This only seems to happen when i use a HDR image and rendering with IBL. I'm assuming this is a gamma issue but i'm not sure how to alter the nodes to be the same as my machine. Anyone know the answer?

Thanks,

Andy

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Do you disable mr exposure control?

In the node machines go to customize/preferences/gamma and lut and verify that the value is the same in all pcs

Richard Vivanco V.
Arq. BIM Manager + Autodesk Certified Instructor
Website | Youtube | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 3 of 17

Thanks Richard.

The trial license has ran out on some of the nodes so i'm unable to load max and update this way. DO you know of a way to do it outside of the max interface?

Thanks

Message 4 of 17
CAMedeck
in reply to: andrewmcadam1402

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMaxDesign\2014 - 64bit\ENU\en-US\defaults\DesignVIZ.mentalray\

Your version of Max may be different, but you should be able to find the final folder.  In there is a file called CurrentDefaults.ini which you can easily edit in Notepad.  Fine the section for Gamma and check/adjust the values in there for each of your render nodes.  In all likelyhood, you should be able to modify one file then copy/paste it to the rest of the machines without causing any problems.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 17
andrewmcadam1402
in reply to: CAMedeck

Thank you.

I looked at the file and gamma seems to be correct! I've attached a 3ds max file and the free hdr image from cgtextures so that someone can test it on their setup. Ive also attached the render that I've output. I've done a few tests now and it's only when i use IBL. everything is is fine using FG.

Also just reitterate, this problem is occuring only when using distributed rendering, when i send renders to backburner the outputs are correct.

Thanks

Message 6 of 17
tony.su

which system do you use?

Satellite Systems or Host Systems with mental ray Standalone Installations?

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/3DSMax...

The version of mental ray must be match. Could you tell me which version of 3ds max do you use? and the version of Satellite Systems or the version of mental ray Standalone.

Tony Su
Product Support
Message 7 of 17
andrewmcadam1402
in reply to: tony.su

Hi Tony.

We use 3DS max 2014 SP5 and distribute render using Satellite systems. In other words our workstation and render nodes all have a full version of 3DS max installed, not the mental ray standalone.

I'm not sure how to find out which version of Mental ray we use, but every machine has the same install. It's also worth me noting that i've tried the test scene on a few pc's using different nodes and recieved the same issue.

Thanks,

Andy

Message 8 of 17
tony.su

I found Distributed Maps is on. So did you copy every map to your slaves? If not close Distributed Maps.

图像 3.jpg

This is explain about Distributed Maps.

Distributed Maps

When on, specifies that all texture maps can be found on each of the slave machines doing distributed rendering. This saves time by avoiding the necessity of mental ray distributing all the maps to each slave via TCP/IP. When off, specifies that all maps used in rendering reside on the local system; that is, the system on which you start rendering. Default=off.

If Distributed Maps is on but the maps are not found on the slaves, those maps simply will not render on the slaves, and rendered output will be incorrect. Also, an error message will appear in the mental ray message window.

If you are doing local rendering only, this setting has no effect.

Maps on all systems in distributed rendering must have exactly the same name and directory path.

Tony Su
Product Support
Message 9 of 17
andrewmcadam1402

All the maps are saved on our network so i shouldn't have turned this on. I've just retested the scene with it turned off and i'm having the same issue.

The render issue only applies when using IBL. If i turn this off and use only FG, GI or nothing, the issue doesn't appear.

Message 10 of 17

I've just done another test using the same test scene i uplaoded earlier. But this time i removed the skylight and instead lit the scene with MR sun and sky, which means there are no textures. The same issue occurs even with the physical sky as the light source for IBL.

Message 11 of 17
tony.su

We couldn't reproduce your issue,

Mental ray message show the render engine use both local and slave.

There is a segment of mental ray message.
"
JOB 0.n 64 MB progr: 11.3% rendered on SINSGH305BD8Q:7520.13
JOB 0.n 64 MB progr: 11.5% rendered on SINSGH305BD8Q:7520.15
JOB 0.11 64 MB progr: 11.8% rendered on SINsgh229tfd2.11
JOB 0.6 64 MB progr: 12.1% rendered on SINsgh229tfd2.6
JOB 0.5 64 MB progr: 12.4% rendered on SINsgh229tfd2.5
"
SINSGH229TFD2 = local
SINSGH305BD8Q = Slave

And we get the correct result on Max Design 2014 SP5.

So could you check the version of local and slave? Do you install Max Design 2014 SP5 on both local and slave?

You can get mental ray version in mental ray message as this one.
"
JOB 0.0 23 MB info : started threads 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 on SINSGH305BD8Q:7520 now known as host 7
MSG 7.0 4 MB info : version 3.11.1.10, Jul 9 2013, revision 200304
"
图像 3.jpg

And you can try to reset your max(local and slave) to remove customer's setting or some plug-in. Then test again.

To remove the user profile:

1. Ensure that 3ds Max/3ds Max Design is not running.
  2. Navigate to the following path (Windows7/8).

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMaxDesign\2015-64\ENU
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2015 - 64bit\ENU

*modify the version and architecture to suit the case

1. Rename the ENU folder to ENUOld.

When 3ds Max is launched a new ENU folder will be created. If the issue has not been resolved, users can revert to the previous settings by deleting the new ENU folder and renaming the old one back to what it was.

Depending on the language 3dsMax/Design is running with, the folder can also have the name FRA, DEU,...

Note: In case users cannot see the folder "AppData", please ensure, that the user has enabled "Show hidden Files, Folders and Drives" within the Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options.

Tony Su
Product Support
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous

I'm experiencing the same problem.

I'm currently running 3ds Max 2014 SP3, with matching Max and Mental Ray installs on my render farm nodes.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Add a teapot to the scene

2. Select menu option Create/Lights/Daylight System and drag out the Daylight System

3. Choose Yes, add mr Photographic Exposure Control

4. With Daylight001 selected, go to Modify tab

5. Change Sunlight to mr Sun

6. Change Skylight to mr Sky

7. Choose Yes, add mr Physical Sky to Environment

8. Go to Render Setup/Processing/Distributed Bucket Rendering

9. Select Distributed Render

10. Render the scene

Result:

Buckets rendered by render farm nodes have a different appearance from locally rendered buckets.

Message 13 of 17
tony.su
in reply to: Anonymous

Could you try SP5.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-maya-2015-servi...

Download sp5, install it on local and slave.

Tony Su
Product Support
Message 14 of 17
andrewmcadam1402

Hi Tony.

I'm having trouble finsing some of the information you mentioned. I've attached a .txt file which includes the information i can see.

'Do you install Max Design 2014 SP5 on both local and slave?'

Yes it's installed on all our pc's. And i've tried rendering the same scene out on different combinations of pc's to ensure it's not just mine.

You can get mental ray version in mental ray message as this one.
"
JOB 0.0 23 MB info : started threads 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 on SINSGH305BD8Q:7520 now known as host 7
"
mine reads the following
"JOB 0.0 10 MB info : started threads 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 on animage-1:7520 now known as host 1
MSG 1.0 4 MB info : version 3.11.1.5, Feb 20 2013, revision 191037"

And you can try to reset your max(local and slave) to remove customer's setting or some plug-in. Then test again.
I've tried this but get the same results unfortunately

Also just to clarify, it's not 3DS max design i'm using, just 3DS max
Andy
Message 15 of 17
tony.su

Sorry for my last message. I gave you wrong hyperlink.

But I don't understand if you install max 2014 sp5 why  mental ray version on your slave is 3.11.1.5.

"JOB 0.0 10 MB info : started threads 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 on animage-1:7520 now known as host 1
MSG 1.0 4 MB info : version 3.11.1.5, Feb 20 2013, revision 191037"

You can get it from mental ray message.

"
"

The version of mental ray on my slave - SINSGH305BD8Q is 3.11.1.10.

And The version of mental ray on my local - 

Mental.jpg

So could you check the 3ds max version.

And install max 2014 sp5.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-3ds-max-2014...

Tony Su
Product Support
Message 16 of 17
andrewmcadam1402

Hi Tony.

I've installed SP5 and the issue has been resolved. Sorry for wasting your time as I could have solved this if i correctly checked the update.

Thank you for your help and time.

Andy

Message 17 of 17
Anonymous

Upgrading to SP5 resolved my issue.  Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report