Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cube Map from Reflect/Refract material map: Can't 'Pick object and render maps'

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
569 Views, 1 Reply

Cube Map from Reflect/Refract material map: Can't 'Pick object and render maps'

I've been pulling out what little hair I have left trying to create a cube map from the reflect/refract material map panel, like is shown in many tutorials around the web:

http://arlab.com/doc/arlab/product/3d_engine/exporters/3ds_max/4.advanced/cube_map_generation

I've been following everyone's steps, but when it finally comes to clicking on 'Pick object and render maps' and selecting my dummy cube.. nothing happens... I've tried selecting cameras, spheres, different dimensional cubes.. I've tried messing with a bunch of different scene settings in a bunch of different scenes, and still, nothing happens when I have the 'Pick object and render maps' button activated and try to click on something.. Supposedly, it's supposed to render 6 images, but I can't get it to work for the life of me...

Anyone have any insight on this problem??

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Was finally able to solve my problem:

My issue seemed to stem from using 3ds max 2015's slate material editor mode, instead of it's compact material editor mode (can be switched by clicking 'Modes' at the top left of the material editor)

For whatever reason 3ds Max 2015 won't render the reflect/refract cubemaps in the slate editor mode.. Using the same steps outlined in all of the tutorials only worked when using the compact material editor mode.

Hope this saves some hair pulling for the next guy..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report