Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

correct vertex order for morpher

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
7934 Views, 13 Replies

correct vertex order for morpher

Hi

Is there any way to correct vertex order to prepare a set of models for the Morpher modifier?

Thanks

Mark

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
faline.custodio.da.silva
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous,

Thank you for bringing this question to the forums!

When using the Morpher Modifier the target meshes need to have the same exact vertex order as the original mesh. You want to know if there is a way to fix the vertex order on target meshes that no longer match.

I don't know of a built-in way to do this. Although I have seen scripts in the past that were made for this, I don't know of one that is compatible with the latest version of Max.

If you have edited the mesh in a way that affects the vertex order, you can fix this by copying the mesh again and re-creating the pose while being careful not to "break" the meshes vertex order. You can then reload the target.

I hope this information was helpful to you, if you have any other questions I'm happy to help!=]

Cheers

Faline Custodio Da Silva

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks.

The object I'm modelling is a flower bud opening. By far the easiest way to make it is model one segment, do a radial copy to create the other four, then attach and weld. So I made four segments at different stages of opening all from the same mesh, same vertex count, and did the copying/attaching/welding. Even if each segment has the same vertex count, even if I copy, attach and weld in exactly the same order, each bud ends up with the vertex numbers out of whack.

The model/copy/attach/weld modelling method gives me my bud in a matter of minutes. But if I had to start with the full closed model for example, and adjust to each state from there, that's going to take me much longer. Oh, I just thought I could use the symmetry modifier. That would cut down the time.

I saw someone mention a way to apply UV coordinates and use that channel data to project identical vertex numbers onto the targets. But I don't imagine that's going to work on a complex model with overlapping faces.

Message 4 of 14
faline.custodio.da.silva

@Anonymous

You can try exporting as OBJ and re-importing and re-assigning the target.

You could also try the script I mentioned Morphix: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/morphix

It was made for Max 8 and 9 so I'm not sure if you'll get it to work but I've seen some people have luck with it.

If you want to give it a try, use the Direct3D viewport instead of Nitrous: Customize menu > Preferences > Preference Settings dialog > Viewports tab > Display Drivers group > Choose Driver button > Legacy Direct 3D.

Faline Custodio Da Silva

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks.

I tried both but no success unfortunately.

The script gives errors.

Message 6 of 14
faline.custodio.da.silva

@Anonymous

Thank you for your reply. Too bad that script is outdated, would be very handy for situations like this.

I don't know of a built-in option to fix this. Unfortunately once those vertex ID's do no not match, it's tricky to fix without restarting from the original mesh.

Would you be able to send me your scene file in a private message? I can take a look at it and see if we can come up with an easier workflow for you that suites this project.

If there is anything else I can help you with let me know!

Cheers

Faline Custodio Da Silva

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks.

I've attached a file.

The morph will need more stages eventually. As far as modelling goes, I think this is the most flexible and efficient method. If I model the bud as a whole, I have to hide/unhide faces, repeat actions five times, and it will take ages.

If you can think of a workflow that would allow me to model only one segment plus retain vertex order, that would be great.

Thank you

Mark

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

Oops. Forgot the file.

Message 9 of 14
faline.custodio.da.silva

@Anonymous

Thanks for sending the file over! =]

I took a look at it, and could not get the vertex ID's either.

So I took a different approach with the bend modifier and this was the result I came up with as an example for you:

flower_bend_anim.gif

flower_bend_anim.jpg

These are the steps I took:

1. I took one of the flower pedals from the original model (the ball) and deleted the rest.

2. Adjusted the pivot to the align with the tip of the pedal.

3. Added the Bend modifier.

4. On the Bend modifier I adjusted the Gizmo to make sure the bottom of the pedal did not move, and played with the scale until the result looked good.

bend_gizmo_flower.jpg

5. I adjusted the center to the bottom of the pedal.

6. With the pedal selected I made a key on frame 1 with the Bend modifier Angle at 0.00. I added another key at f100 with the pedal Angle at 3.5.

7. Then took that pedal and created an Array of five at 360 degrees in the Z rotation. (So all the pedals have the desired bend with the animation keys already added, so you only have to adjust the Bend modifier and the animation once.)

8. I duplicated the pedals, grouped and scaled down within the first set of pedals so it had another layer. Then adjusted the animation keys accordingly for that group.

9. Then grouped all of them together for easy translation and rotation.

The advantage to this workflow is that you can play with the Bend modifier and the animation on one single pedal until you get the desired result, then it's as simple as creating the Array and all that information will be duplicated.

I attached the scene file from this render so you can take a look at it.

Let me know if this was helpful to you. My scene is just an example. I encourage you to play with these settings yourself to get the exact shape and look that you want. I wasn't sure exactly what type of flower you were looking to simulate but you have a good amount of flexibility with the Bend modifier.

I look forward to your reply!

Cheers

Faline Custodio Da Silva

Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks for the help Faline.

The reason I didn't use bend is that it needs it to be a single mesh. If you look at the data I sent, the bud only opens so far. The base of the bud is continuous and unbroken all the way round. It splits to halfway only.

If I did use discrete meshes and bend, I'd need to sort out the smoothing for the contiguous parts that don't split. I have a vague memory of doing this in the past by copying vertex normal information. I'll look into it.

Here's what it is, by the way. A baobab bud ....

https://thumb7.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/85988/85988,1263576367,1/stock-photo--photo-of...

Message 11 of 14
faline.custodio.da.silva

@Anonymous

Let me know if you are able to have luck with copying the vertex information.

If you still want to try using the Morpher modifier. It may be easier to use the opened up flower for the original mesh, and have the target be the closed flower. You could just animate in reverse. But it would be difficult to control how it's morphing, so it looks natural.

Cheers

Faline Custodio Da Silva

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks. I will.

It's a shame the vertex order can't be fixed.

I was wondering if using bones would offer any advantage. Maybe I'll give that a try to. That would let me keep the single mesh.

Thanks for all the help!

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

Hey Faline, this seems to have done the trick.

I used the Welder modifier instead of welding. Also, I don't know if it made a difference, but I placed the original meshes in the same position before I copied and attached them.

Now I can tweak the mesh, add a couple of progressive morph targets and I should be ok.

Mark

Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

is there a non-encrypted version of morphix? it doesn't do exactly what we need so I need to change it... plus I'd rather learn to fish than be given a fish in this instance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report