Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't turn on scene lights in viewport?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
3351 Views, 2 Replies

Can't turn on scene lights in viewport?

HI everyone.

I have some basic geometry set up (A billboard) with 5 free spotlights directed at it. If I render the scene, the lights show up fine, but I need the lights to be shown in the viewport, so my camera previews pick it up. I've googled the problem, but most of the searches come up from old versions of max that aren't helping, things like CTRL + L, pressing 7 on the keyboard. None of these are working.

I did find the Shadows and Lighting options, but I cannot turn on the scene lights, they are blacked out as shown in the image.

So can anyone help me out?

NOTE: I am using Max 2015

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JamesClarke3D
in reply to: Anonymous

You're probably in "Shaded" mode instead of "Realistic" mode. Shift+F3 is the default in 2016 for Realistic mode, otherwise you can just click on the Shading Viewport Label menu and toggle there, under which you'll also find the same lighting options - https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/3DSMa...

---------------------------
| LinkedIn | @SnipeyX |
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: JamesClarke3D

Sorry I haven't gotten back to this in so long. My laptop broke and it took awhile to get it fixed.

But no, swapping to realistic doesn't help.

EDIT:

Scratch that CTRL + L worked after changing it to realistic

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report