Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

camera flash effect

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
741 Views, 9 Replies

camera flash effect

hello ive been trying to create camera flash effect in 3dsmax. I dont want the flash to cover the screen when it flashes. i want the bulb effect that are little flashes across the screen as if multiple cameras were going off in sequence. any ideas
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I've seen those types of renders but never tired one,.. I'm guessing you just align the light source to the camera so the angle of incidence is parallel to the camera Z, returning a strong specular highlight. If you move the light in it's local coordinate you should be able to vary the effect creating the celebrity photo shoot look.

A noise controller for position offsets & an on/off controller with some kind of modulation could make quick work of this task.

-Shea
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

thank you
im a newbie at 3dsmax. so ill have to wrestle a little with those directions.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Just try it manually animating the light position to see if it works, if you need a longer sequence I can help you setup the controllers I was referring to. The alignment and coordinate system I'm sure you can work out.

-Shea
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

ya see this is what im looking for. would your directions achieve this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbrC7Za7v08
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

Not at all what I thought you wanted, just use a glow or volume on a light, setup in the environment panel, animate the parameters.

-Shea
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

thats it. thanks. hope you dont mind one more question. trying to preview my animation. when i try to preview, dialog box says that no player is present. any ideas?
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

The link to your media player is broken, you may need to choose the codec. I use custom and write Quicktime because I like to scrub the playback and the player is simple & clean.

-Shea
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

so go into custom and write quicktime?
Message 10 of 10
RobH2

There are several ways to do this. Make a light, then animate the brightness. For all frames set set the brightness to zero, but on one frame where you want the flash, make it really bright. Add some Bloom to the camera lens  and it will help sell it. I don't use Arnold but I wasn't sure if you had Vray or anything so here is an Arnold file for you to play with. This should give you a start. I'm sure there are other ways to do this but give this a try. 

When you play the MP4, right click on it and set it to 'Loop' and you'll get a better idea. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report