Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ART renderer default lighting?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
9227 Views, 7 Replies

ART renderer default lighting?

The ART renderer is new to me and I have a question that I cant seem to find an answer for.

When I use the art renderer in a new scene without any lights there is allready a lighting system active in the scene, some sort of daylight system with soft shadows. Where can I find the settings for this lighting system or how do I turn it off?

Thanks!

Chiel

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rendermaster
in reply to: Anonymous

Assuming you are using 3Ds Max 2017 and or 3Ds max 2018

Default light settings can be access on the following procedure:

1. You need to make the default light into 2 default lights. Go first at View Menu then select Viewport Settings and Preference. On Default Lights, select 2 Default Lights, otherwise you cant make the default lights to appear on the viewport.

1.jpg

2. Then Go to Create menu Tab, Select Lights, Standard Lights, then Add Default |Light to the Scene. Then tick Add default key/fill Light. Hit Ok

2.jpg

Unfortunately, the method is useless if you will use Art Render, the converted Default Lights will become Standard Lights and by default, its not supported by Art Render Engine.

Ronel Katigbak Pabico

3D Generalist / Animator / Renderer/ Graphics Designer

Autodesk Student Ambassador Platinum
YouTube Channel l Linked l Facebook l Blogs

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: rendermaster

Dear Ronel,

Thank you for your time and effort!

While your solution does change the lighting in the viewport it does not provide a solution for my problem.

I ment that there are lights in an empty scene by default when you use the ART renderer.

when I start a new scene with no lights, camera's, geometry etc and add a plane and a sphere and hit F9 it renders a sphere on a plane with shadows.

In the meanwhile I have allready discovered that the shadows are cast by the background colour which seems to act as an HDRI environment. with a white background I get a very soft shadow, with a pure black background I get a very sharp shadow, when the value of the background color is set to 1 (almost pure black) the whole rendering is almost not illuminated (see pics for example).

I want to render a sphere on a plane with the ART renderer and use a white background and no lights or shadows. Where can I control these settings!?

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

anybody?

Message 5 of 8
Francisco_Penaloza

I am a little confused with what you are asking.

If you need an image with no light and shadows?? you better use scanline render and maybe place the ink'n paint shader on it. No light and shadows mean diffuse pass. like a flat cartoon.

Regarding Art Render, this is a very simple render engine based on Physical controls, so what you are asking is not possible.

This rendering engine always will look for a light source, as you noticed by default it will use the environment as a light source.

Right, when you place any type of light in your scene it will turn off the default light and use only the new light. Even if you then it off it will only work with that new light (everything will be black if the light is off ).

If what you mean meant is to render your scene only with soft lighting and not hard shadows, then you can use the 3D Max default environment to light your scene, choose a color or place an image there and this will illuminate your scene.

Hope this clarifies your question.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Francisco_Penaloza

Hi Francisco thank you for your time and effort!

I'm trying to achieve exactly this: Right, when you place any type of light in your scene it will turn off the default light and use only the new light. Even if you then it off it will only work with that new light (everything will be black if the light is off ).

Unfortunately it does not work like that on my machine. It's driving me crazy. whenever I add a photometric light and turn it off it still uses the environment for lighting, nothing is black at all. I've tried to turn it really low like 0,01 and it still renders with the environment light.

To clarify my question: I want to render with the art render without the environment kicking in, just two photometric lights. Am I doing something wrong... is it a bug.. or not possible at all?

Message 7 of 8
Francisco_Penaloza

Well there has to be something wrong, for the heck of it I created a simple scene and is working as expected, two lights, default light is off if I turn all lights off, everything goes to black.

Be sure your environment is set to color and that color is black, no exposure, or effects.

use the light listener to check for any hidden lights.

this scene, it is in Max 2018.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tu1ao51r2hqgmp8/lightsOff.max?dl=0

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Francisco_Penaloza

Aaah thank you! I finally understand what is going on and why it did not work.

my background color was not set to black as I needed a product rendering with a white background. The background I used was white and i also tried an environment background switcher but both yielded negative results.

all lights do go off when you add a light but ONLY when the background color is 100%  black.

Thank you so much!

Cheers,

Chiel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report