Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arnold renderer, GPU is not being used?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
bioclone_ax45
523 Views, 3 Replies

Arnold renderer, GPU is not being used?

I though this would be automatic, as in the past the program recognized my GPU automatically (1080 gtc) so I expected it would be used on the rendering, but now I am on hour 11 o rendering a single 2k frame (and with lots of noise, even using like 3 times the ray options that comes by default) but then I just noticed now that My GPU usage is 0% on the rendering... I am missing something?

Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, I dont have too much knowledge about rendering at all.

*Also, tips about reduce the noise are welcome, I upload the rendering (uncompleted) so you may see better what noise I have.

NOTE: I am using only Arnold lights, no other photometic lights at all, I know that may increase render times or give some problems.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hello again, could someone help? I know Vray is way more common but somebody has to know about this...

I am using the 2018 3dsmax version, I did notice that in theory I should have a menu on "system" that should allow me to choose the GPU rendering, but I dont have this.. I heard that It may require an upgrade of MaxtoA plugin, but Im not sure on how I should do this as It comes by default with the program... can someone explain me how to achieve this process? or Im forced to directly move into a newer 3ds version such the 2020 edition?

Message 3 of 4

Most likely, you are forced to update your MAXtoA version. Are you using the version that shipped with 3ds Max 2018? That's pretty old, a lot has changed since then...

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 4 of 4

Yeah, I ussually only update programs when Im forced (when im learning about them) as sometimes the interface may get very different... I do self learn from multiple sources so that is mostly the reason... I already "suffered" a bit in the past when the 3ds max UI lost some colors on the icons what made me much easier to recognice instinctively.

I did checked the Arnold page and seems like the oldest version supported 4 the new versions are the 2019, so I guess its time to jump for the 2020 edition... I hope it fits my SSD as my storage there is very limited...

thx 4 the reply!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report