Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arnold Denoising stopped working for this scene, but why?

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
michael_grosberg
609 Views, 1 Reply

Arnold Denoising stopped working for this scene, but why?

I'm using a simple scene to render multiple beauty shots of objects. basically a ground plane, a light and an arnold sky background. all very simple. I'm using fairly low render settings and so, I turned on the Optix denoiser. The result was a dark-gray output, as if there was no light whatsoever in the scene.

I'm attaching the scene with a teapot, and both the denoised and non-denoised output.

I'm using 3ds max 2021.

Can anyone help me understand what I did wrong and how to fix it? 

Labels (1)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
madsd
in reply to: michael_grosberg

You are not too far off.

- I disabled Legacy switch, its not working on GPU, so just disable.

- Disable Exposure override, its a post process which is not nested in the denoised output.

- Reset the skys exposure to 1:0 from 1:8

- Add a RGBA Beauty AOV and tick the Denoise flag.

- unticked the OptiX denoiser on the main pass, you render 2 images instead, the normal and the denoised on same time.

Now the RGBA and the denoised image is identical in terms of light, and the denoised image renders in a fraction of the time.

So you mixed a bit of stuff that is redundants and not needed, but just do like this and you will fly fine.

Hint, dont use production render........its sloooooooow to work like that, use Active shade, fresh, upbeat, instant reaction, you hit render 1 time in a session and let it keep ripping the framebuffer instead of testing, pushing render, etc, you will be much slower than active shade workflow, possibly by orders of magnitudes slower.

qweqwe.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report