Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3dsmax 2021 - Arnold renderer No Motion blur on Particles

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
richard.ramsbottom
1912 Views, 5 Replies

3dsmax 2021 - Arnold renderer No Motion blur on Particles

Im new to Arnold renderer, have created a rocket and i want to add aerosol like particles coming from the rocket. I got the particles working, but i cannot apply motion blur to the particles.

I have tried adding a mesher, activated the transform keys, added arnold properties to the particle system etc.

Is there a step im missing?

As said im new to Arnold, i know how it worked in Mental ray and Scanline. Just cant do it in Arnold.

I also note that im in Active Shade, I have switched to Production as well, ive also increased the motion blur to as high a value as possible but nothing seems to make a difference.

Thanks...

Labels (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
oliver
in reply to: richard.ramsbottom

MotionBlur needs a Physical Camera to work. Switch it on in the camera and check "Respect Physical Camera Settings" in the Render Settings.

left: rendering  center: render settings  right: camera settingsleft: rendering center: render settings right: camera settings

Edit: also read https://docs.arnoldrenderer.com/display/A5AF3DSUG/Motion+Blur

Message 3 of 6
richard.ramsbottom
in reply to: oliver

Thanks for the reply. 

Other objects are having motion blur applied to them. The sphere on the right has motion blur. The 2 particle systems dont. One is a pure particle system, the other has a mesher applied to it. Neither have motion blur. I have zoomed right up to them and nothing.

Do you think I'm missing a step, or are particles with motion blur not supported in Arnold?

Thanks.

Message 4 of 6
oliver
in reply to: richard.ramsbottom

I tried with two different ParticleSystems, both render with motion blur when moving (Arnold & PhysicalCam):

left: ParticleFlow  right: SuperSprayleft: ParticleFlow right: SuperSpray

Set up a fresh scene and try with a simple scenario - then try to figure out the differences to your scene.

Message 5 of 6
richard.ramsbottom
in reply to: oliver

Thanks, yes that worked!

Set up a new scene with just a camera, Particle system, and an object. Motion blur worked immediately. Have no idea what is preventing my scene from rendering the motion blur. Will merge all my objects into the new scene. 

Thanks for the reply/answer.

Message 6 of 6

I will mention one thing I found. 

You seem to have to scrub the timeline to make it work. As in if im at frame 40 , it deosnt show motion blur. Scrub to 60 then back to 40. Now it shows up. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report