Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds Max 2020_ Arnold not recognizing physical camera

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
kevinmGFYPQ
2076 Views, 10 Replies

3ds Max 2020_ Arnold not recognizing physical camera

I have lost hours tonight trying to figure out why I cant get the 3ds Max physical camera to work in Arnold.  I want to be able to adjust lighting on a per camera basis.  That would mean being able to use f-stop, shutter speed and ISO.  I cannot seem to get these to impact the camera render no matter what exposure control settings I use in Exposure Control under Environment and Settings.  The only way to impact a scene is with the EV compensation there but that is not per camera and I want to be able to use traditional camera adjustments in my camera just like I do with Vray.  Any help would be appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
madsd
in reply to: kevinmGFYPQ

Works fine here.

2 cameras in scene, hit render and watch realtime render view which swapping between cameras, you can then see the light is stopped down and up depending on the camera you go into with "v" then pick camera.

Make sure you are on the latest official build of Arnold.

Message 3 of 11
domo.spaji
in reply to: madsd

Go into with "C" then pick camera, it's faster, direct shortcut.

Message 4 of 11
domo.spaji

Make sure you have "Active" enabled- it affect render too.

You can see exposure effects directly in viewport , switching cameras and persp. view...

You know, that is not really (nor virtually) lighting adjustment.

In active shade render view you can turn on/of exposure from Env. and exposure settings by check/uncheck "active"

Message 5 of 11
kevinmGFYPQ
in reply to: domo.spaji

Thank you to everyone who responded.  To those that asked me about selecting the appropriate physical camera exposure selections in the 3dsmax environment controls, I had already done that.  Yes, I had that as active as well.  What finally worked, and i am not sure why it worked, was that I simply restarted 3dsmax.  Actually, i think I restarted my computer.  Once I would select the appropriate camera, the F-stop, film speed and shutter speed all worked.  I am not sure exactly why things were not working.  I did not want to have to rely on exposure EV settings since they were more global and not camera specific. 

What is interesting though is that the camera settings I punch in are not really totally representing the settings I would be using with a real world camera.  I guess they are close and it depends on the exact lighting..  I am usually using a f stop of f8.  Film speed might be 200 iso and the shutter around 1/10 s.  I am not a photographer so I am hindered a bit in my knowledge but I am happy to see I have these controls in Arnold.  Thank you for the replies.

Message 6 of 11
madsd

You can also make a small merge Arnold operator node noodle.

Catching a flag in the name then set

exposure = value

Makes it easy to manage many cameras.

Message 7 of 11
kevinmGFYPQ

I am sorry to have seen this so late but I have no idea what you are explaining in your post.  It sounds like I would be scripting something in Arnold and frankly, i need to work with a render engine where things are much more straight forward.  I currently favor Vray which in itself is not the easiest render engine but I don't need to script anything. 

I was finally able to get some decent results in Arnold and I have to continue to use it only because a client wants me to use it since that is what they have on their computer as well.  I seem to run into quite a few annoying issues with Arnold, especially their GPU rendering where it only renders Arnold specific materials.  It will not render Physical materials which was frustrating.

Thanks again for replying though.  I am sure i will have other questions.

Message 8 of 11
madsd

Its a very powerful way to operate and scene manage, works well the larger a shot becomes.

You can use the physical material with the Arnold GPU, which part is not working for you?

Message 9 of 11
kevinmGFYPQ

Well, the Arnold documentation (if I recall correctly) mentioned that the Arnold GPU would not recognize physical materials.  Sure enough, when I rendered using the CPU, things were great.  When I switched to GPU the scene rendered white which is what made me research the cause.  I then went through and rebuilt all of the shaders using only Arnold maps and sure enough, I got a good GPU rendering. 

Message 10 of 11
madsd

1.png

Just open the file and hit the render button to start active shade.

Let's know if you see the noise in the render view, the viewport should also show the same noise, as its set to HQ.

2.png

Message 11 of 11
kevinmGFYPQ

You are a super helpful dude!  I am going to see if I can pull up the scene I am referring too and then post the rendering that renders all white in GPU.  For some reason, it did not work for me.  I know you know your stuff when it comes to Arnold as I have read quite a few of your post.

I am also trying to work through another issue totally unrelated to Arnold so it may be a bit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report