Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2021: What happened to bitmap materials?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
748 Views, 4 Replies

2021: What happened to bitmap materials?

I actually have two questions. I have used max for about 15 years. I just got 2021 and change is hard. The material editor defaults to something called physical material which is totally foreign to me. I just want good old fashioned bitmap textures. I did a knowledge base search and it said to do it the regular way:

Material Editor > Material/Map Browser > Maps > General > Bitmap

The problem is, there is no Bitmap option on my UI. I have Physical Material, Blend, DirectX Shader, etc. -- but not Bitmap. There is also a set called Arnold and I have no idea what those are.

Can anyone help me get back to using a bitmap material? I just want to put a jpg on the face of a poly and that shouldn't be so hard.

QUESTION TWO: I opened a file that does use bitmap materials. The ones that are composites are displaying as solid colors (e.g. tan, gray) and not as bitmap textures (e.g. sand, galvanized metal). I tried changing to "realistic" in the viewport settings but no luck. I went to each submaterial and made sure that they are set to display in viewport. This is also really frustrating. I did not have this problem in max 2017 and earlier.

Thanks in advance for any help. (Please only reply if you actually have a viable solution. Don't suggest that I Google it.)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
madsd
in reply to: Anonymous

Don't seek to use the old stuff, it has all kinds of bad things attached to it.

Use Physical material at all times and plug an OSL Bitmap into the base color map.
Set viewport to HQ and make sure the material is set to display in HQ view.

Material editor is slate, use it, you will need to train using it going forward so you are familiar with using this kind of shading canvas in the future.

2020-12-29 00-51-38.gif

------------------------
Mads Drøschler
TD/Artist & Developer.

Your daily dose of OSL Shaders
https://gumroad.com/madsdroschler

Message 3 of 5
CAMedeck
in reply to: Anonymous

I think you are looking for 'Standard' materials, not Bitmap materials.  A Bitmap is a Map not a Material.  You'll find that under the Scanline rollout instead of General.  But like Mads said, you probably should not use Standard materials anymore.  

And +1 to his suggestion of using the Slate Material Editor versus the old Compact Material Editor.  Check out my AU Class on Slate here for some good tips: https://www.autodesk.com/autodesk-university/class/Slate-Material-Editor-Dont-Be-Afraid-2017

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: madsd

I see. Thank you. I appreciate your reply and the information. I have some learning to do. 🙂

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: CAMedeck

Awesome! Thank you. I will check out your resource. I've fallen behind on my skills. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report