Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
3ds Max Programming
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max SDK, Maxscript and Python topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

normalize spline not accurate

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
345 Views, 4 Replies

normalize spline not accurate

hi,

I need a way to measure a distance on a spline...
I add a normalize spline modifier to it with a unit of 1 (or alike)

I can easily get to the specific knot when I need a specific distance on that spline 😉

but now I realize that its absolutely not accurate, when you go through the knots (vertices) you will see it will add 1.02 (or alike) and at the end of the spline, inaccuracy added up so many times giving you bad measurements 🙂

is there any other way to exactly know how far a specific length is on a spline?

thanks a lot,
davy
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
paulneale
in reply to: Anonymous

Use the measure tool in the utility panel. That wil tell you how long it is. There are also calls in maxScript that will give you the length or any position along a spline, look under splineOps I think.
Paul Neale

http://paulneale.com

Paul Neale

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

curvelength $

should be what you are after
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

many thanks,
now I divide the spline myself and gives accurate segments 😉

davy
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

hi davy,

i have also used this method with a dummy on a path controller. when you know the length you can calculate the dummy's distance along the spline via the path percentage.

pete

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report