Community
3ds Max Programming
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max SDK, Maxscript and Python topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access material properties of an xRef Material

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
yvesadam4016
710 Views, 3 Replies

Access material properties of an xRef Material

So the backstory of what I'm trying to accomplish is that we have workflow where where use a VRaySwitchMtl with xref'd materials in it's slots to easily switch carpaints.

now I got the part to switch the material covered in my tool, where I switch the index of the switchMtl.

But I'd also like to change a colorpicker to the diffuse color of the chosen index's material, which is an xref material.

I have NO clue how to access those properties. I know I am supposed to be looking at the Interface: objXRefMgr section of the docs, but I can make heads nor tails of how that part works.

I get to this point:

obj.material[15].switchMtl[5].switchMtl[1]

which returns

object:xref

I also tried 

obj.material[15].switchMtl[5].switchMtl[1].xrefrecord 

gives me 

<MixinInterface:IXRefRecord>

and then I'm stumped.

So either I'm trying to accomplish something that can't be done (which I can't imagine) or I'm going to need some help here to fetch my material properties.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

if you have a reffered material its class is XRef_Material. Object of this class has a property #overrideMaterial which is original material with all its properties.

PS. there is a more correct method to get the source material : 

<material><XRef_Material>.GetSourceMaterial <bool>resolveNestedXRef

see the MXS Help for more details

Message 3 of 4

Thanks Denis. That second one is exactly what I was looking for.

for future reference for others, to actually access it (based on my initial shown code):

srcMat = obj.material[15].switchMtl[1].switchMtl[1].GetSourceMaterial true
show srcMat

This wil print out all accessible properties of the source material of the xRef_material.

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: yvesadam4016

can somebody help me, the first image is my original 3ds max file, with material and mapping set up, but when I xref this file in  new scene it show perfect in the viewport, but when I render it seems to loses the mapping. I am using corona renderer. the strange part is that only happens in this specific scene, I created new scenes to test it, and works fine.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report