Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between Edit Poly object versus Edit poly modifier

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
jmackniak
258 Views, 1 Reply

What is the difference between Edit Poly object versus Edit poly modifier

I am wondering what gives here.  doing some research on 'how to activate Nurms' i came across the fix.  When using NURMS you need to have an edit poly object in order for NURMS to be active.    I did not realize that there is a difference from the Edit poly from the modifier list versus right clicking the object and getting edit poly from the transform quad.   

What is the difference between Edit Poly object versus Edit poly modifier?  i honestly though they were the same.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
10DSpace
in reply to: jmackniak

@jmackniak 

The key word is "Modifier".  Having nearly all of the edit poly features in a modifier allows you to work non-destructively by placing an edit poly modifier on the stack and then making any changes you want to the mesh which can later be "turned off" or reversed just be clicking on the little eye ball.  You can stack edit poly modifier on top of edit poly modifier making different changes to explore different possibilities in creating a model and selectively turn them on and off.   You can rename each EP Modifier to organize and label the changes (Right click on the modier and select "Rename".   Using Edit poly modifier (or edit mesh modifier) is a big advantage of Max in nondestructive workflow.  

In terms of specific functional differences between the 2 see below link:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2021/ENU/3DSMa...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report